• Register Today It's free!

2019 Purchase

feman

Reaction score
City, State
Geneva, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Limited Exepedition
Gave up on the 2020. To many issues. Found a platinum 2019 with 500 miles on it for 45K. Should I be concerned about the carfax? Vehicle went from a Chicago build to Canada then Kansas and has only 500 miles. Seems odd.

Owner 3
Purchased: 2019

Date
Mileage
Source

Comments
12/12/2019

Kansas
Motor Vehicle Dept.

Vehicle purchase reported
12/15/2019

British Columbia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
North Vancouver, BC

Registration issued or renewed
- New owner reported
12/18/2019
Service Facility
New Westminster, BC
ico_service.svg

Vehicle serviced
- Odometer reported as 808 kilometers
01/31/2020

Kansas
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Bonner Springs, KS
Title #AA9595542

Dealer took title of this vehicle
while it was in inventory
- Title or registration issued
02/24/2020

myCARFAX

Manufacturer Recommended Maintenance Schedules

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since it shows Owner 3, does this mean you are the 4th owner? I'd want to look into that if that is the case. I'd also want to know what "service" was performed on it with only 808 kms (502 mi.). Have you purchased this Explorer or are you just checking it out?

Peter

Not impossible, but highly unusual movements. I'd be concerned of factory/transit damage or buyback/title wash.

Who were the owners at each step? Private or ford/dealers?

Did you Google the VIN to see what, if anything, comes up?

Dealer said it was sold new in Canada but has no information on what happened. He thought possible a bank repo. He said its still under the full factory warranty and was inspected by the dealership.

Another question. The picture of the speedometer has kilometers on the outside ring and MPH on the inside. Im assuming that can be switched around.

You can switch the measurements in the settings but I don't know if that also changes the speedometer.:dunno:
You also will have DRL on full time. Being built for the Canadian market you won't have a setting to turn them off. The dealer can do it with IDS or you can with FORScan. You may also have a block heater.
See if the dealer can get you a copy of the Window Sticker.

Peter

Dealer said it was sold new in Canada but has no information on what happened. He thought possible a bank repo. He said its still under the full factory warranty and was inspected by the dealership.

Another question. The picture of the speedometer has kilometers on the outside ring and MPH on the inside. Im assuming that can be switched around.
The info should all be on the Carfax, but I'm not sure if Carfax is solid in Canada (may be lots of stuff missing or delayed). If you want to know, you may have to pick up a phone and call the prior dealers it went through to verify. If it was a repo, that should be in the Carfax as well as the auction sale if that occurred. I can't say I've seen a repo happen as quickly as 1 late payment either if the Carfax dates are accurate.

Also, be careful on warranty as there can be issues with a used Canadian vehicle and warranty. I know auctions warn about Chrysler warranty issues if buying a Canadian Chrysler in the us, not sure on ford.

Also, keep in mind the exchange rate. I would expect a pretty good discount on a Canadian vehicle.

Best of luck. I've bought some used powersports stuff that was originally Canadian, but it was used and out of warranty and they were priced right at the time. I'd pass on a pricey new vehicle unless I did my due diligence on the history.

Does anything come up if you Google the VIN?

We have Carfax reports here. As for the quoted $45k, that would be a US price. My 2017 Platinum was $62k.

Peter

We have Carfax reports here.
Not sure if that was for me, but I am aware carfax is available in Canada.

As I am sure you know, carfax is not a 100% accurate solution in the US as not everything is reported, some stuff is not reported accurately, and other stuff is delayed. It is my understanding that things are even worse in canada as far as carfax data is concerned. I would never consider a carfax to be a solid tool to be taken at face value. It is a tool nonetheless. Use it wisely and followup on the info it provides.

As for the quoted $45k, that would be a US price. My 2017 Platinum was $62k.

Peter

The current exchange rate is .75 to 1. Your $62K CAD for a new vehicle would equate to ~$46K. As with many posts around here, details are very light, so it's hard to say if $45K USD is a good deal for a "used" vehicle regardless of low miles. Based on the little info there is at this time, I'd lean toward passing on this vehicle myself.

Im going to take a pass on this one. Id love to have this vehicle as it set up with the captain 2nd row seats. Cant find any 2019's set up like this.

Pass sounds like a good plan. Might be new but low mileage could be coincidence or could be a problem. Could be be Repo but not only after 500 miles, that's not time enough to make a first payment let alone be late. Another scenario is original purchaser did not get the financing approved and had to be returned. There are still some dealers that allow you to take possession of vehicle pending financing, usually a weekend where banks don't open again until the following business day they are pretty sure about the approval but bank has ultimate final say. If the consumers credit was that risky then this scenario is ruled out.

If your out of the game then so be it let the next person use their due diligence and find out how it could have three owners with that low miles.

Back