2020 Aviator Black Label - RECEIVED! 2019-12-30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Aviator Black Label - RECEIVED! 2019-12-30

ERRR404

Reaction score
City, State
Hoffman Estates, IL.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator BL
Model: Aviator Black Label
Exterior: Flight Blue
Interior: Cashmere / Black Label Chalet Theme
Options: Tow package and Dynamic Handling package

· Order placed: 16-JUL-2019
· VIN Assigned: Have VIN, but not sure when it was assigned.
· In Order Processing: 08-AUG-2019 - Scheduled to Week (Week -of Sep-30-2019) at Ford Chicago Assembly, IL.

New to the forum and a new proud owner of a 2020 Lincoln Aviator. :)

I initially had the Land Rover Discovery at the top of my list. Others I've considered were the Q7, QX60 and X7. After reading and watching videos about the Aviator, I decided to wait to see one in person on July 15th. The rest is history.

We occasionally have 7 passengers so I opted to go with the bench seat. It tears me up inside. The captain chairs look great and works well in the overall interior design. I requested if the mounting of the front plate could be skipped. They informed me that it comes from the factory already mounted in states that require it. Although, they said they would request it.

It would be nice if I could just go over to the factory any it up when it's ready. I'm about 60 miles from the Chicago, IL factory. I'm pretty excited. Sept/Oct seems so far away.

Conrad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Conrad.:wave:
Congrats on the order. Now the pacing begins.;)

Peter

Model: Aviator Black Label
Exterior: Flight Blue
Interior: Cashmere / Black Label Chalet Theme
Options: Tow package and Dynamic Handling package

· Order placed: 16-JUL-2019
· VIN Assigned: Have VIN, but not sure when it was assigned.
· In Order Processing: 08-AUG-2019 - Scheduled to Week (Week -of Sep-30-2019) at Ford Chicago Assembly, IL.

New to the forum and a new proud owner of a 2020 Lincoln Aviator. :)

I initially had the Land Rover Discovery at the top of my list. Others I've considered were the Q7, QX60 and X7. After reading and watching videos about the Aviator, I decided to wait to see one in person on July 15th. The rest is history.

We occasionally have 7 passengers so I opted to go with the bench seat. It tears me up inside. The captain chairs look great and works well in the overall interior design. I requested if the mounting of the front plate could be skipped. They informed me that it comes from the factory already mounted in states that require it. Although, they said they would request it.

It would be nice if I could just go over to the factory any it up when it's ready. I'm about 60 miles from the Chicago, IL factory. I'm pretty excited. Sept/Oct seems so far away.

Conrad
No luck. I had written to the CEO of ford which is the same plant where the Explorer and Aviator are built and was told that they don't let no visit the plant where they are being built. The only plant that can be visited is where the F150 is being built.

Dear Johnny,

Bill Ford asked me to convey his heartfelt appreciation for your longtime loyalty to Ford Motor Company. The lengthy list of the Ford vehicles you have leased is impressive!

We are delighted that the all-new 2020 Ford Explorer has caught your eye and understand your desire to purchase one before your present lease ends. Your salesman, Karl Miller, can help you navigate your options and advise you about your eligibility for the current Ford Early Bird Lease Pull Ahead Program.

We are sorry to disappoint you, but the Chicago Assembly Plant does not provide tours, and regrettably, we cannot grant your request to see a new Explorer roll off the line.

It is a pleasure to count you among the members of our extended Ford family. We hope your dreams to own a new Explorer and work for Ford Motor Company come true one day soon. Our best wishes to you.

Brad Simmons
Director, Community Outreach | Office of the Executive Chairman | Ford Motor Company

No luck. I had written to the CEO of ford which is the same plant where the Explorer and Aviator are built and was told that they don't let no visit the plant where they are being built. The only plant that can be visited is where the F150 is being built.
I think it was.just wishful thinking.:)

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Conrad.:wave:
Congrats on the order. Now the pacing begins.;)

Peter
Thanks! I'll wear out my flooring. ;)

It would have been nice. :)

etaEndDate : 2019-10-06
primaryStatus : In Production

Window sticker is available as well.

source.gif

I hope any issues that plagued the early batches have already been resolved and no other work has to be done after it has been built.

Scheduled to Day is 2019-09-25. Does this mean building will start on 09/25?

Yes, will roll off the line on 9/26
Awesome. Do you happen to know about how long it takes to get to the dealer? I'm in Illinois and it's being built in Chicago. I assume it will be delivered locally by a truck to the dealer. Two weeks or so? I assume there is some QA being done after it has been built.

Mine was built on 8-26 and is still in production hold with no updates whatsoever. I've seen others roll off the line and ship within a week, it's a roll of a dice my guess.

Awesome. Do you happen to know about how long it takes to get to the dealer? I'm in Illinois and it's being built in Chicago. I assume it will be delivered locally by a truck to the dealer. Two weeks or so? I assume there is some QA being done after it has been built.

I'd say a week. Chicago to my guy in MI took 6 days. If the builds are smooth (which I expect by then), I wouldn't expect much delay.

Mine was built on 8-26 and is still in production hold with no updates whatsoever. I've seen others roll off the line and ship within a week, it's a roll of a dice my guess.

Wow. That's a bummer. I would be going crazy.

I'd say a week. Chicago to my guy in MI took 6 days. If the builds are smooth (which I expect by then), I wouldn't expect much delay.

That would be ideal. Now I need to clean up the garage. Clean up my baby's new home. :)

Wow. That's a bummer. I would be going crazy.

That would be ideal. Now I need to clean up the garage. Clean up my baby's new home. :)

Congratulations, I hope it's all you expect, and will last for ages.

BTW, for the new paint(all new paint), try to keep it out of the sun for a couple of weeks. Do not wax it for a few weeks, the paint is curing still. Use all the glaze type products you want, those don't seal the paint in any way. Then put on a great wax after a few weeks, and do it yearly at least after that. That's the best protection for car paint, and it doesn't cost much compared to the newest fads(paint sealant treatments s that run $500-1k etc). It's very easy to wash and polish, or wax, a car that gets regular cleaning and waxing.

Congratulations, I hope it's all you expect, and will last for ages.

BTW, for the new paint(all new paint), try to keep it out of the sun for a couple of weeks. Do not wax it for a few weeks, the paint is curing still. Use all the glaze type products you want, those don't seal the paint in any way. Then put on a great wax after a few weeks, and do it yearly at least after that. That's the best protection for car paint, and it doesn't cost much compared to the newest fads(paint sealant treatments s that run $500-1k etc). It's very easy to wash and polish, or wax, a car that gets regular cleaning and waxing.

I'm planning on getting a paint protection film on the front portions of the car. Do you think I have to wait a while or do those films still allow the paint to cure properly?

I'd wait a good 3-4 weeks from when the paint was sprayed. I gather for people who rarely wash or wax a car, the expensive treatments help a lot. But people who actively wash and wax on a regular basis, don't see any benefit from them.

I want to try one of the clear spray on films, a type that can be rolled on or sprayed at home. It bonds like a vinyl film, and can be peeled off as easily(hair dryer etc). Those are good for any long trips or for areas you know you get lots of stones thrown up at the car. I like the idea of using them for going to a car show, to reduce damage of course, but also to make clean up faster at the show.

I'd wait a good 3-4 weeks from when the paint was sprayed. I gather for people who rarely wash or wax a car, the expensive treatments help a lot. But people who actively wash and wax on a regular basis, don't see any benefit from them.

I want to try one of the clear spray on films, a type that can be rolled on or sprayed at home. It bonds like a vinyl film, and can be peeled off as easily(hair dryer etc). Those are good for any long trips or for areas you know you get lots of stones thrown up at the car. I like the idea of using them for going to a car show, to reduce damage of course, but also to make clean up faster at the show.

I guess I could wait a while. Just afraid I'll get a rock chip while I wait. Ugh! As for the spray on films, are you talking about PlastDip? I have a can, but haven't tried it out yet. I was planning on using it for my older car. Planned on painting all the chrome parts matte black. If I didn't like it, I could just peel it off. :)

I guess I could wait a while. Just afraid I'll get a rock chip while I wait. Ugh! As for the spray on films, are you talking about PlastDip? I have a can, but haven't tried it out yet. I was planning on using it for my older car. Planned on painting all the chrome parts matte black. If I didn't like it, I could just peel it off. :)

There are different brands which make various spray on or brushed on products. I like ALSA as a great place to browse for ideas, and some products they sell. That's where I saw products that can be used like a liquid vinyl coating, spray-able, or by brush(they say). Take note that most of those kinds of products are for normal slick paint or surfaces, a porous surface like dead paint they can be permanent and require sanding to remove. On newer cars they are supposed to be easy to peel off. I was considering it for a 91 Lincoln I have with dead paint, but I wanted it to be temporary, until I could have it painted. That would have made stripping it off very difficult and more expensive for the paint job.

via JSON
etaEndDate : 1990-01-01 <==== :dunno:
primaryStatus : In Order

via Dealer
Status Primary: In Order Processing
Status Seconday: Schedule to Day (Oct-12-2019)

Dealer just emailed me and said they had stopped production (not sure for how long) to fix all those issues they had. Now production has resumed. It has added a few weeks to my overall delivery. Looks like all those json updates from the ford site were timed statuses rather than actual statuses. Hopefully I'll get it in October. *crossing fingers and toes*

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

via JSON
etaEndDate : 1990-01-01 <==== :dunno:
primaryStatus : In Order

via Dealer
Status Primary: In Order Processing
Status Seconday: Schedule to Day (Oct-12-2019)

Dealer just emailed me and said they had stopped production (not sure for how long) to fix all those issues they had. Now production has started again. It has added a few weeks to my overall delivery. Looks like all those json updates from the ford site were timed statuses rather than actual statuses. Hopefully I'll get it in October. *crossing fingers and toes*
So Chicago stopped production of the Explorer and Lincoln to, I assume, finally fix the ongoing issues that is causing units to go to DET to be repaired??? Is this true?

Back