2020 Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer

"Blue oval sources" have confirmed some details. CD6 platform, RWD, 3.3L V6 base, same 2.3L Ecoboost, and a new ST trim with Lincoln's 3.0L Ecoboost (no more Sport or 3.5L Ecoboost).

It states the ST's V6 will be mounted longitudinally, so expect all engines to be longitudinal.

The 10-speed will be available but it doesn't say with what engines. The 2.3L with 10-speed could provide adequate power with stellar fuel economy.

2020 Ford Explorer Goes Rear-Wheel Drive, Steals Lincoln Engine - The Truth About Cars
That link was already posted a few post above.:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aviator. At first it was supposed to come a year after the Explorer but from what Im hearing, it will be the same model year. Hoping to see a prototype at one of the car shows (NY).
Thank you. I just couldn't think of that name (Aviator) last night no matter how long I tried.

Peter

That link was already posted a few post above.:)
A glitch with the site. Posts 26 & 27 were not displayed when I went through the thread to make sure it wasn't already posted.

A glitch with the site. Posts 26 & 27 were not displayed when I went through the thread to make sure it wasn't already posted.
Not sure about that. I used the link about 30 minutes after it was posted last night. In any case it has interesting info on the redesign. I'm sure there will be more to come.:)

The article specifically states that the Lincoln counterpart will have two powertrain options: 1) the 3.0L EB and 2) a PHEV, but then it says both will use the 10-speed transmission.

Huh? That can't be correct. I'm not understanding how a PHEV could possibly use the 10-speed transmission.

At any rate, I do wonder what the PHEV configuration will be like. Will they continue to use the Atkinson cycle engines?

Same article, different writer.

Rumor has it a possible unveil (prototype) next week at the Chicago Auto Show. Ford has something scheduled next Thursday... hmmm

And Chicago is the Explorer's home town.....

Ford will be releasing a 2020 Explorer ST. No more Sport.... I was told by my Dealer Rep

Lol, did you read the article that two of us posted?

Lol, did you read the article that two of us posted?
Yes I did. That is why i wrote what i wrote. I went and asked my friend at the dealer who gets great info and he said that he heard that the next explorer will be ST version.

I'm really sad that it is only going to be the 3.0L V6. It does not feel right. I think it should be the 3.5L Ecoboost V6 for the flagship, with Raptor level horsepower.

Sounds like they might drop the Platinum? Really disappointed.

I'm sort of disappointed.

2019 Model Year will be a short build cycle, it will be interesting to see if they sell all they can produce with a complete redesign coming in 2019 as a 2020 MY.

After jumping on the 2011 MY Job1 when it first came out I think I will have to wait for at least Job2 of the redesign.

2019 Model Year will be a short build cycle, it will be interesting to see if they sell all they can produce with a complete redesign coming in 2019 as a 2020 MY.

After jumping on the 2011 MY Job1 when it first came out I think I will have to wait for at least Job2 of the redesign.

Yet took 2 years to work out al the bugs... soooooo.... may want to wait a tad more.

Fortunately for me, I have 2 more years for a new replacement so hopefully the bugs will be worked out for the 2020MY.

I'm really sad that it is only going to be the 3.0L V6. It does not feel right. I think it should be the 3.5L Ecoboost V6 for the flagship, with Raptor level horsepower.

Sounds like they might drop the Platinum? Really disappointed.

I'm sort of disappointed.
The 3.0L is an Ecoboost that currently delivers 400 HP and 400 lb-ft torque in the Lincoln and will be available in the new ST. That is more than enough in my opinion. Those numbers can also be modified for the Explorer. The current NA 3.5L V6 is being replaced with the NA 3.3L V6.

Peter

Yet took 2 years to work out al the bugs... soooooo.... may want to wait a tad more.

Fortunately for me, I have 2 more years for a new replacement so hopefully the bugs will be worked out for the 2020MY.

If 2020 is the first model year of the redesign you'd want to wait until 2022 wouldn't you?

I don't get why Ford has so many problems in their 1st and 2nd model years, especially for vehicles that were heavily based on something else before it. The 2011 Ex was heavily based on the Flex which came out 2 years before. Why in 2013-ish did my Ford service writer advise me to steer clear of 2011-2012 Explorers due to chronic steering rack issues? What was so different about the Ex steering rack compared to the Flex / Taurus steering rack?

Same with my 2012 Focus - those cars had front strut mount issues. Why? Was its mount so different than any other strut mount out there that they couldn't have properly engineered the problems out to begin with? I don't think so. My 2014 Focus was fine - only went back to the dealer once in 3+ years.

That's why I was comfortable buying the 2017 Ex. You would think 6 model years would be enough to work the bugs out. Of course then I find out about the exhaust / CO problems that have been around since day 1.....

If 2020 is the first model year of the redesign you'd want to wait until 2022 wouldn't you?

I don't get why Ford has so many problems in their 1st and 2nd model years, especially for vehicles that were heavily based on something else before it. The 2011 Ex was heavily based on the Flex which came out 2 years before. Why in 2013-ish did my Ford service writer advise me to steer clear of 2011-2012 Explorers due to chronic steering rack issues? What was so different about the Ex steering rack compared to the Flex / Taurus steering rack?

Same with my 2012 Focus - those cars had front strut mount issues. Why? Was its mount so different than any other strut mount out there that they couldn't have properly engineered the problems out to begin with? I don't think so. My 2014 Focus was fine - only went back to the dealer once in 3+ years.

That's why I was comfortable buying the 2017 Ex. You would think 6 model years would be enough to work the bugs out. Of course then I find out about the exhaust / CO problems that have been around since day 1.....
The Explorer was based on the Taurus platform. The Lincoln MKT was based on the Flex. My 2011 Explorer was virtually trouble free except for the random windshield wiper TSB which did not fix it and had the same issue on my 2014 MKT and current 2017 Platinum.

Peter

In my opinion, the best model year to get is generally the second to last or last model year as all the bugs the manufacturer is going to fix tend to be fixed by then - and/or unfixed bugs are mostly well enough known by then to allow for an informed decision.

My guess on the 2020 CD6 models is that the lincoln variant of the explorer will be electric and will be called aviator. The MKX replacement will be called nautilus. I want to say that the CD6 being primary RWD has been forecast by auto industry data sources (wards, jdpower, ihs, others that provide future production data/insight for a cost) for quite some time - not sure why the auto press is just picking up on it now, other than they wanted a higher confidence level or were perhaps embargoed.

That is another article on 2020 Explorer.

The 2020 Ford Explorer rumored to come in 400-hp ST trim

According to it next gen Explorer to be built on new RWD platform CD6 thus getting new 10-speed transmittion. 3.5 NA to be replaced with new 3.3 and 3.0 Ecoboost to be borrowed from Lincoln with 400+ hp (in place of 3.5 EB). New ST trim may replace current Sport as well.
Could be great to have an ST with Raptor's 3.5 EB with 450 hp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back