2020 Explorer | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer

Wow, that is a different direction indeed. 3.0 twin turbo with 400hp & 400ft/lb is quite decent (+10%) but rear wheel drive with the 10 speed transmission. I wonder if it's because it's losing all the AWD mass and gaining fuel economy. Definitely a tradeoff.

That said, these cars *should* be AWD except for largely hot climates. RWD doesn't do so well in snow or even rain. It implies AWD might be an option, so maybe can satisfy everyone. They'll lose a chunk of buyers if they don't make it an option. And with a 3.0L engine... I'm guessing the power numbers would suffer in an AWD config.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you guys believe that the new CD6 platform will remain unibody?
Despite the upgraded torque the 3.0 twin on the ST would bring to the Explorer, can we hope for an upgraded towing capacity as well ? In the 7000 ish pounds like the competition (Durango/Tahoe)? That would be amazing.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I, for one, sure hope so. It's the only reason I switched from the Highlander to the Explorers.

Peter

I hope they were just using older parts on a prototype because the rear window wiper should be hidden up in the top of the rear glass spoiler for a nextgen 2020 model. GM did this on the Tahoe/Yukon models and its so much cleaner looking not to mention just a better design.

They did not do this for the Expedition or Navigator so probably not. :/

They did not do this for the Expedition or Navigator so probably not. :/

yes, your right that is a good indicator it won't happen.

Despite the upgraded torque the 3.0 twin on the ST would bring to the Explorer, can we hope for an upgraded towing capacity as well ? In the 7000 ish pounds like the competition (Durango/Tahoe)? That would be amazing.

I think the theory is if you want 7000lbs of towing they want you to buy an Expedition, not an Explorer.

Post # 24

Wow, that is a different direction indeed. 3.0 twin turbo with 400hp & 400ft/lb is quite decent (+10%) but rear wheel drive with the 10 speed transmission. I wonder if it's because it's losing all the AWD mass and gaining fuel economy. Definitely a tradeoff.

That said, these cars *should* be AWD except for largely hot climates. RWD doesn't do so well in snow or even rain. It implies AWD might be an option, so maybe can satisfy everyone. They'll lose a chunk of buyers if they don't make it an option. And with a 3.0L engine... I'm guessing the power numbers would suffer in an AWD config.

Not sure if you read through this whole thread but earlier in it I posted it will be RWD and have an AWD option.

The problem with FWD applications is it is harder to build high powerppwered vehicles due to wheel hop (weight shifts to rear on high power take offs), the fact the trans has to make a U turn to get the power to the drive axle and the understeer.

With RWD, you have the driveshaft coming straight out of the trans to the rear diff. You can build higher more reliability trans with RWD easier.

Now the question is, how will they have the add set up. One rumor floating around was electric motors on the front wheels since we know there will be an electric version of the Explorer.

Also hearing the Aviator will be revealed at Chicago Auto Show (rumor) so we may have a better idea today.

I don't see it happening either. Explorer is staying Unibody, because it's a soccer mom car. I'm fine with that.

Also hearing the Aviator will be revealed at Chicago Auto Show (rumor) so we may have a better idea today.

I guess no 2020 Explorer or Aviator debut at the show eh? This show is a dud. Biggest debuts are a new trim on the Traverse and a custom striping option on the Durango. Snore.

If it was the ST for 2019, they would not be using the current hood on the new platform (which this is) which you can tell by the huge plastic gap piece used between the hood and the windshield. You also would not have this funky windshield wiper mounted to the middle of this fake plastic piece.

Again, not an ST, it is a Mule using the current gen body parts on the new platform and I stand by my comment of these magazine people being idiots lol.

View attachment 154884
[/QUOTE]

This looks exactly like this mule from a long time ago. This is not a 2020. It was the 2018 mule. This video is dated May 2017.

Did you read this thread before posting that? Not trying to sound rude... just wondering if you had because it was essentially posted in #27, 30, 36, 49 and 50 all had these articles linked.

I know sometimes people just click on the last page and post rather then reading through a thread.

Any thoughts on whether a 2020 ST model will carry brake and suspension upgrades similar to the Sport?

Any thoughts on whether a 2020 ST model will carry brake and suspension upgrades similar to the Sport?

The Sport does not have brake upgrades. All Explorers have the same brakes beginning in the 2013MY. The ST replaces the Sport so yes, it will have better handling suspension.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was looking at getting a small light bar as we drive out in the country/mountains alot and sometimes it would be nice to have some extra light especially when the animals are out, I was thinking in the opening on the lower grill would be the easiet but sure how to mount it as seems to be just plastic there?

Thanks
Shane

Back