2020+ Passenger Cowl Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020+ Passenger Cowl Removal

FreeFal311

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
Alright, I've searched the entire 2020+ forum with keyword 'cowl,' and there's no real discussion about it yet. Has anyone removed it? I'm looking specifically for experience(s) with regard to pulling it away from the windshield and reinstalling that seam. Is there a technique that works best? Any post re-installation problems with water tightness? If I muster the courage to try to pull it off myself first, I'll report back here. We're still a ways away from the average AGM lifespan, so I'm probably a bit early. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You mean the pillar trim?

I just looked at mine - it looks like there's a plastic ridge running below the windshield and above that cowl cover. I would suspect the cover butts up against the plastic ridge, forcing runoff to continue to the cowl cover and under the car. What's weird to me (and a bit concerning) is that water runs into the car instead of away.

I just looked at mine - it looks like there's a plastic ridge running below the windshield and above that cowl cover. I would suspect the cover butts up against the plastic ridge, forcing runoff to continue to the cowl cover and under the car. What's weird to me (and a bit concerning) is that water runs into the car instead of away.

My concern is that seam right below the windshield. I'm hesitant to break that seal. The front clips / fasteners of the cowl are pretty straight forward, and they loosen it enough to lift it up and peek at the battery.

I'm able to remove the hard plastic cover on top of the battery's positive terminal board through that opening, and I've established confidence that I can remove all of the terminal cables through that opening as well, including the anchor / positioner on the backside of the battery. I'm pretty sure AGM batteries can be safely turned on their side, so it's possible to perhaps prop up the cowl and pull the battery through the opening to remove it. But, what a pain. I'd prefer to remove the cowl, as I'm certain I'll damage the fender and probably the cowl pulling it through. I'm just planning ahead. I'm sure the dealer removes the cowl when they replace it. It might be easy to do. There are likely clips beneath the top portion of it that pop out. But, I'm mainly wary of the seal.

While we're on the subject, are we sure it's an AGM battery? Seems unlikely Ford would spend the extra money.

While we're on the subject, are we sure it's an AGM battery? Seems unlikely Ford would spend the extra money.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it is. Too much tech wizardry; I don't think Ford had a choice! After all, something has to power all those Transformer noises between driving.

It is an AGM battery. I had my cowl off about a year ago, I forget how I did it exactly. Remove the perimeter clips, and try to slide the cowl toward the passenger side before lifting up on it.

Definitely an AGM Battery - they are pretty much standard with stop start systems!

My concern is that seam right below the windshield. I'm hesitant to break that seal. The front clips / fasteners of the cowl are pretty straight forward, and they loosen it enough to lift it up and peek at the battery.

I'm able to remove the hard plastic cover on top of the battery's positive terminal board through that opening, and I've established confidence that I can remove all of the terminal cables through that opening as well, including the anchor / positioner on the backside of the battery. I'm pretty sure AGM batteries can be safely turned on their side, so it's possible to perhaps prop up the cowl and pull the battery through the opening to remove it. But, what a pain. I'd prefer to remove the cowl, as I'm certain I'll damage the fender and probably the cowl pulling it through. I'm just planning ahead. I'm sure the dealer removes the cowl when they replace it. It might be easy to do. There are likely clips beneath the top portion of it that pop out. But, I'm mainly wary of the seal.

Back