2020 ST or 2019 Sport?

SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
I am debating what to do with this situation. These are Company vehicles for me and we pay invoice. No special financing, etc. So, don't consider any of that. My thoughts:

2019 is $47k, roughly. 2020 will be $54k, roughly. In taking the 2019, I don't get the new design, technology, etc. But, I don't care about BLIS, lane keeping, forward camera's, etc. I really wish I could have the technology that is in my 2014, but with memory seats, cooled seats and Sync 3. I.E., the 2014 I have does NOT have the 401A package. I like the heated/cooled seats, the driver memory seats (for my wife when she drives) and the rear power gate. I don't want a sunroof. So, I'm not all that picky as it relates to technology - the 2019 with the 401a is more than I need. The ST, from what I've read, is fine in base form. I don't need additional options. Again, from what I read.

Given both will be AWD, I'm not concerned about the RWD appeal; though, I know the 2020 will be RWD biased. So, I'm looking at paying $7-8k more (if not more, depending on where you read) for the 2020ST. In doing so, I get about 40more HP, as well as more TQ. It's also slightly bigger, but I'm not all that worried about that. The 2014 I have, now, is plenty big for what we use it for.

So, how long will the 2019 continue to be made? Or, is that window done? If so, how likely am I to find a 2019 Sport with the 401A package on the dealers lots given the 2020's are out in, what...June?

I'm leaning towards the 2019 Sport given the price gap and my lack of interest in the extra technology that seems to come from the ST. I can appreciate why Ford increased the price, but $7-8k is hefty.

Any thoughts? Am I missing anything?

Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like you answered your own question.

For me, I do not want abother 5th gen. I do not want to worry about all the design flaws of the 5th gen again.

I am debating what to do with this situation. These are Company vehicles for me and we pay invoice. No special financing, etc. So, don't consider any of that. My thoughts:

2019 is $47k, roughly. 2020 will be $54k, roughly. In taking the 2019, I don't get the new design, technology, etc. But, I don't care about BLIS, lane keeping, forward camera's, etc. I really wish I could have the technology that is in my 2014, but with memory seats, cooled seats and Sync 3. I.E., the 2014 I have does NOT have the 401A package. I like the heated/cooled seats, the driver memory seats (for my wife when she drives) and the rear power gate. I don't want a sunroof. So, I'm not all that picky as it relates to technology - the 2019 with the 401a is more than I need. The ST, from what I've read, is fine in base form. I don't need additional options. Again, from what I read.

Given both will be AWD, I'm not concerned about the RWD appeal; though, I know the 2020 will be RWD biased. So, I'm looking at paying $7-8k more (if not more, depending on where you read) for the 2020ST. In doing so, I get about 40more HP, as well as more TQ. It's also slightly bigger, but I'm not all that worried about that. The 2014 I have, now, is plenty big for what we use it for.

So, how long will the 2019 continue to be made? Or, is that window done? If so, how likely am I to find a 2019 Sport with the 401A package on the dealers lots given the 2020's are out in, what...June?

I'm leaning towards the 2019 Sport given the price gap and my lack of interest in the extra technology that seems to come from the ST. I can appreciate why Ford increased the price, but $7-8k is hefty.

Shumax

Another thing to consider, from where I sit, is that a 19MY will either have the design flaws ironed out (redesigned water pump and PTU for a start) OR will have solutions to them more readily available.

A 20MY, since its a redesign, is going to have flaws that are completely unknown and is more of a learn as you go experience. That's not to say they will definitely be there but, the risk (again, from where I sit) is higher.

From what I've heard, the QC at CAP sub-par, so take that as you will.

I believe you can still have a 19MY built as 20MY Job 1 is scheduled for a few months out. However, if I were you, I'd be super speedy to get the order in, just in case.

So, I'm looking at paying $7-8k more (if not more, depending on where you read) for the 2020ST.

So with your purchasing situation the inevitable huge discounts on the leftover 19's will not come into play? The 19's will likely be available for $8k to $10k off sticker in the summer. There will be no discounts on the 20's in fact you may even pay over sticker for an ST. For 99% of buyers the 19 will be FAR more bang for the buck.

Looks like you answered your own question.

For me, I do not want abother 5th gen. I do not want to worry about all the design flaws of the 5th gen again.

Yeah, I'm sure buying the first model year of a new generation will be problem free. :banghead:

So with your purchasing situation the inevitable huge discounts on the leftover 19's will not come into play? The 19's will likely be available for $8k to $10k off sticker in the summer. There will be no discounts on the 20's in fact you may even pay over sticker for an ST. For 99% of buyers the 19 will be FAR more bang for the buck.

Yeah, I'm sure buying the first model year of a new generation will be problem free. :banghead:

I am not worried about exhaust issues, PTU issues with 18oz of lifetime fluid or internal water pump issues that will take out my engine.

There is ZERO reason to pay more then invoice on a 2020. I would expect to see $2,000 - $2,500 in rebates on the 19s plus 0% for 60 or 72.

With rebates on the 2020, you should be able to get $1,000-$1,500 below invoice.

Gen 5 has too many design flaws as noted previously. Plus, Ford generally cheapens the last MY of a generation--and those cheapenings aren't always immediately apparent.

I would take the 2020. Plus, when you're done, I suspect it will be easier to unload. I'm keeping my 2017 for the moment, but I wouldn't buy a 19 even with incentives.

These design flaws everyone is talking about.....well if your only keeping the car 5 years, are they REALLY something to worry about? Only reason I would get a 20 over the 19, is if you like the way it looks. I would bet you will be saving $10k if you wait a few more months. Thats ALOT of $.

How much downtime can you tolerate in those 5 years chasing issues? How many unfixable problems are you willing to live with when you finally give up?

I've got issues with my car that will never be fixed.

The foot activated liftgate will never be fixed. I've disabled the feature with FORScan programming and help from people smarter than me.
The random smells on WOT/near WOT will never be fixed. I crack my window open in -5 temps.
The squeaks and rattles that pop up, come and go, etc, will never be (permanently) fixed. I chase them every so often with foam tape, and the car's barely 2.5 years old.
The random laggy throttle on first engagement that I have will never be fixed. I've just learned to live with it.

How much downtime can you tolerate in those 5 years chasing issues? How many unfixable problems are you willing to live with when you finally give up?

I've got issues with my car that will never be fixed.

The foot activated liftgate will never be fixed. I've disabled the feature with FORScan programming and help from people smarter than me.
The random smells on WOT/near WOT will never be fixed. I crack my window open in -5 temps.
The squeaks and rattles that pop up, come and go, etc, will never be (permanently) fixed. I chase them every so often with foam tape, and the car's barely 2.5 years old.
The random laggy throttle on first engagement that I have will never be fixed. I've just learned to live with it.

10k off on an explorer... Absolutely no way... there is only 2k between msrp and invoice. You will not see $6,000 rebates..

.......... It's also slightly bigger, but I'm not all that worried about that. The 2014 I have, now, is plenty big for what we use it for....................................

Shumax
The vehicles are virtually the same size. The 2019 is 198.7 " in length and the 2020 is 198.8". Width is the same at 78.9" excluding mirrors. The biggest change is in the wheelbase. The 2019 is 112.8" vs the 2020 at 119.1 which should give it a somewhat improved ride and a little more interior space. As far as "Am I missing anything?", yes, the location of the water pump. Internal vs external. The 2020 will have both hi and lo beam LED.

Peter

10k off on an explorer... Absolutely no way... there is only 2k between msrp and invoice. You will not see $6,000 rebates..

I got my '17 on Oct 31, '17 for $8,200 off MSRP without even trying. Just walked in and said I want this price from your website. And that wasn't even with a new generation arriving on the lots.

Here's just a couple of quick examples of deep discounts on '19s and the '20s aren't even close to arriving on the lots yet:

Sport, $6,900 off: 2019 Ford Explorer Sport Tampa FL 26618660
Limited, $7,200 off: 2019 Ford Explorer Limited Tampa FL 26667562

Gen 5 has too many design flaws as noted previously. Plus, Ford generally cheapens the last MY of a generation--and those cheapenings aren't always immediately apparent.

I would take the 2020. Plus, when you're done, I suspect it will be easier to unload. I'm keeping my 2017 for the moment, but I wouldn't buy a 19 even with incentives.

What makes you so sure the next gen won't have design flaws? But even more likely are the 1st year bugs. My 2012 Focus (1st MY of Gen 3) had numerous issues. The 2014 I replace it with.... none.

Always a big risk to buy the 1st model year of a new generation from ANY car maker.

Great point. I love that the 2020 will be RWD-based, but every new redesign has a rocky first year, with lots of kinks to get worked out. I'd stay current gen or wait until 2021+.

I got my '17 on Oct 31, '17 for $8,200 off MSRP without even trying. Just walked in and said I want this price from your website. And that wasn't even with a new generation arriving on the lots.

Here's just a couple of quick examples of deep discounts on '19s and the '20s aren't even close to arriving on the lots yet:

Sport, $6,900 off: 2019 Ford Explorer Sport Tampa FL 26618660
Limited, $7,200 off: 2019 Ford Explorer Limited Tampa FL 26667562

You can't go by that. It doesn't tell you how the price breaks down and it specifically says in the fine print "The prices shown above, may vary from region to region, as will incentives, and are subject to change" and "All prices after discounts and rebates. May include Ford Credit Cash* and/or trade assist*".

Fact is, you do not know how they are factoring the pricing. As of now, Ford is offering $2,250 in cash rebates. For all we know, the dealer could be factoring in the $500 military, $500 student and $500 First Responders. You need specifics to say it is $6,900 off.

With it being roughly $4,000 between true dealer cost (invoice minus holdback) and MSRP, plus $2,250 in rebates.. I do not see how else they are coming up with the increased money unless they are including rebates that most do not qualify for. There is no way they are selling for under invoice - holdback.

You can't go by that. It doesn't tell you how the price breaks down and it specifically says in the fine print "The prices shown above, may vary from region to region, as will incentives, and are subject to change" and "All prices after discounts and rebates. May include Ford Credit Cash* and/or trade assist*".

Fact is, you do not know how they are factoring the pricing. As of now, Ford is offering $2,250 in cash rebates. For all we know, the dealer could be factoring in the $500 military, $500 student and $500 First Responders. You need specifics to say it is $6,900 off.

With it being roughly $4,000 between true dealer cost (invoice minus holdback) and MSRP, plus $2,250 in rebates.. I do not see how else they are coming up with the increased money unless they are including rebates that most do not qualify for. There is no way they are selling for under invoice - holdback.

Actually I can go by that because I have gone by that several times. Here's the ad for the Explorer I bought. I actually did even better than this because they gave me a $250 off coupon for something so I paid $35,631, which is about 19% off sticker. And I did not qualify of any special incentives that anyone else couldn't get. I've also paid roughly 20% below sticker for a Durango, two Focuses, a Taurus, and my current Mazda6. The Mazda6 was $5900 off it's $29k sticker (just over 20% off). Just looking around autotrader and dealers' individual sites and looking for the best internet deals. Those ads I referenced for $7k off Explorers right now are absolutely for real; anybody can get them for that price. It will be a year or two into the Gen 6's model years before discounts reach that level again, if they ever do.

Web Ad.JPG

A lot of good discussion here. I had not thought about the first year bugs. That’s another reason for me to gravitate to the 2019. The water pump and PTU issues are real; though, in 120,000 I have not had an issue with either on my 2014 Sport - KNOCK ON WOOD! I do admit the ST looks sharp. Just continue to have a hard time with the extra $....

A lot of good discussion here. I had not thought about the first year bugs. That’s another reason for me to gravitate to the 2019. The water pump and PTU issues are real; though, in 120,000 I have not had an issue with either on my 2014 Sport - KNOCK ON WOOD! I do admit the ST looks sharp. Just continue to have a hard time with the extra $....

The water pump and PTU will be covered under the powertrain warranty anyway.

Till 60,000 miles.. I am not worried about the first 3 years of ownership.. I am worried about 8 years of ownership.

Well, then obviously the parameters change. Even then, premiumcare ESP and all that jazz has you covered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shumax
You could consider a 2018 Sport and save even more if there´s one available. If not a 2019 it´s a better choice than a 2020, like some have said, new generations usually come with bugs that need to be resolved, the 2019 is the last year, it has matured to no or little issues.

Back