2021 King Ranch - Sirius Radio randomly cuts off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2021 King Ranch - Sirius Radio randomly cuts off

Blisster

Reaction score
City, State
Prosser
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021, Explorer King Ranch
We have a 2021 Explorer King Ranch. We have a sirius subscription and use it regularly, and usually with no problems. We do have occasional loss of signal due to trees or mountains in certain areas (we live in Washington state so pretty far north) and this is normal. BUT we have random problems where the sirius radio cannot be selected and will not play. This typically happens when we shutoff the car for a few minutes like at a gas station, then restart the car and Sirius will have zero output, and we cannot select other sirius stations. We can select any other audio source and they all work fine, but not sirius. The only way to get it back is to shut off the car for about 20-30 minutes (we have not actually timed it, but a short time like 2-3 minutes will not reset the radio). Has anyone else had any similar problem with sirius? We have had the car into the Ford dealer service but they cannot repeat the problem. They have done a "factory reset" on the electronics system but didn't fix it. We also have done the "reset" with Sirius but problems continue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have the newest software version 21194? If not try updating it and see if that helps.

Do you have the newest software version 21194? If not try updating it and see if that helps.
Not sure... I guess I need to learn how to check the version and do an update. I'm not familiar with how to do that yet. I would assume that the Dealer service techs have already done that, but I can't say for sure.

There's a TSB that covers that concern, a dealership should be able to help you by doing an update. One of the first listed concerns is Sirus not functioning after a key cycle the TSB# is 21-2411

Not sure... I guess I need to learn how to check the version and do an update. I'm not familiar with how to do that yet. I would assume that the Dealer service techs have already done that, but I can't say for sure.
Ensuring that you have the latest update installed should be part of the dealer prep procedure. That said, it is always best to check that it is.
I believe the update mentioned by Dale solved the issue.

Peter

Depending on when his vehicle was delivered it could have had the latest software installed. 21194 wasn't released until Aug 27, 2021

Depending on when his vehicle was delivered it could have had the latest software installed. 21194 wasn't released until Aug 27, 2021
I did NOT have the 22194 installed. So I downloaded and installed the update. So far we have had no more issues with Sirius - seems to have resolved the random problems, but time will tell. I am a bit surprised that the Ford Service did not do that update when I brought it in last December. Thanks to all who provided the answers... Much appreciated!

I did NOT have the 22194 installed. So I downloaded and installed the update. So far we have had no more issues with Sirius - seems to have resolved the random problems, but time will tell. I am a bit surprised that the Ford Service did not do that update when I brought it in last December. Thanks to all who provided the answers... Much appreciated!
Glad to hear that version 21194 has helped. It is amazing how many issues from the 2 prior versions it fixed. Thanks for reporting back.

Back