Dash Lights and Radio Randomly Cycling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dash Lights and Radio Randomly Cycling

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 ST Limited V8 2WD
First of all...thanks for the great source of info here. I am a long time lurker, but I don't post very much.

Here is a little info on my current vehicle.
2007 Sport Trac (owned ~4 months)
4.6, 2WD, 85K

Randomly (but always with the lights on)...the gauge cluster lights will go off, and the radio will power cycle. This will happen for a few seconds and then it will return to normal. There are no other symptoms (headlights are still bright, drivability is fine, etc). After this happens, when I turn the key off...the truck turns completely off and there are no dome lights, no auto unlock, or any type of RAP. Once I open the door, the dome lights come on and the cluster flashes for a brief second. Then...things are USUALLY normal for a little while.

Recently, the vehicle did not have any power after I get out of it. It was like it was completely dead. Key fob wouldn't work, keypad wouldn't work...nothing. When I walked inside to get a flashlight and came back out, it lit up and started just like normal. Although the clock was reset.

So far, I have replaced or verified the following (pertaining to this problem).
Battery
Ignition Switch
Alternator (tested good - 14.2v output)

I am at my wits end with this...I know better than to take an 'intermittent' issue to the dealer, as I have been down that road with another vehicle. Not to mention that I am out of warranty and do not wish to pay them to guess when I can do just the same.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks for your reply!

Battery was replaced with a new Duralast Gold.

I've read through the TSB's and mine seems similar to the issues with the cluster...but I have yet to read anyone with the symptoms of the truck being 'dead'. The PATS light never flashes on mine, and as long as the lights come on the truck seems to start fine.

I have checked all connections to the battery and all grounds as well.

Back