Digital instrument panel on 2021 King Ranch/Platinum | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Digital instrument panel on 2021 King Ranch/Platinum

EXP Dave

Reaction score
City, State
MURRELLS INLET
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Platinum
We are buying either a King Ranch or a Platinum hopefully in the next week or so. Sorry if this has already been answered, but is there a way to change the plain blue instrument cluster to the more traditional gauge look? If so, does it have to be in the "Sport" mode that also changes the drivability to sport (uses more gas) or can it be changed individually. We drove one yesterday at the local Ford dealer and that car got sold before we could decide. I appreciate any input as I do not like the blue screen very much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

hbalek

Reaction score
City, State
Kensington, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
We are buying either a King Ranch or a Platinum hopefully in the next week or so. Sorry if this has already been answered, but is there a way to change the plain blue instrument cluster to the more traditional gauge look? If so, does it have to be in the "Sport" mode that also changes the drivability to sport (uses more gas) or can it be changed individually. We drove one yesterday at the local Ford dealer and that car got sold before we could decide. I appreciate any input as I do not like the blue screen very much.
Blue is the normal mode which is default. I've only used Normal, Eco, Sport and Slippery. The rest are Tow, Deep Snow/Sand, and Trail.

20200307_233213.jpg

20200307_233225.jpg

20200307_233154.jpg

20200307_233309.jpg

20200307_233117.jpg

20200307_233039.jpg

20200307_233027.jpg

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
So basically the answer is really no. You cannot change the background colour of the screen you want to use. The only to do it is to change driving modes. It isn't like changing your ambient lighting.

Peter

VCFP153

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ormond Beach FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 PIU
I like the ADI on the right.

scottfmc

Reaction score
City, State
Spring Hill, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Platinum
How do you get the full tach to show on the right in Normal mode?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Is it not in the 'Display Setup'? "Add Tachometer to View" I don't have the Explorer so I am not able to check it out.

Peter

Bluesnake01

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
You can't on eco mode and normal mode. Will always show the rev. bars on the left only. Which is a bit confusing considering the Escape with the digital tach has it on normal mode which looks exactly the same on the Explorer aside from that.

scottfmc

Reaction score
City, State
Spring Hill, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Platinum
You can't on eco mode and normal mode. Will always show the rev. bars on the left only. Which is a bit confusing considering the Escape with the digital tach has it on normal mode which looks exactly the same on the Explorer aside from that.
Thanks. Disappointing....

DoraAExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer XLT
there is something that I like more about traditional gauges. Sport cars all have them and they are classic and clean.

EXP Dave

Reaction score
City, State
MURRELLS INLET
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Platinum
Blue is the normal mode which is default. I've only used Normal, Eco, Sport and Slippery. The rest are Tow, Deep Snow/Sand, and Trail.

View attachment 342447

View attachment 342448

View attachment 342449

View attachment 342450

View attachment 342451

View attachment 342452

View attachment 342453
Peter, thanks so much!!!! We ended up the a 2021 Platinum. Getting used to the blue screen now. I wish Ford would allow the "Sport" screen with normal driving. I can't justify driving in sport mode just to get the screen I like! Take care and thanks again.

VCFP153

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ormond Beach FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 PIU
Peter, thanks so much!!!! We ended up the a 2021 Platinum. Getting used to the blue screen now. I wish Ford would allow the "Sport" screen with normal driving. I can't justify driving in sport mode just to get the screen I like! Take care and thanks again.

So, just drive in Sport mode just because it's more awesome. :) :)