• Register Today It's free!

2021 lift/rims/tires

Kevininhawaii

Reaction score
City, State
Kailua, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 xlt
Hi, new to the forum. Getting a 2021 xlt and i would like to put 33’s on it. What size lift/ leveling kit will i need? Any recomendations on tires and rim sizes/ brands or shops to purchase from? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ha good luck sir!

Hi, new to the forum. Getting a 2021 xlt and i would like to put 33’s on it. What size lift/ leveling kit will i need? Any recomendations on tires and rim sizes/ brands or shops to purchase from? Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum Kevin. :wave:
I'm not aware of anyone having put on 33" tires on either the 5th or 6th gen Explorers.

Peter

You will have a very difficult time fitting 33's on an explorer. It wouldn't drive well either. I'm looking at putting a 1.5" spacer on my 21 limited. Unsure what tires I will be able to fit.

My ST came with 31" tires stock 255/55/20 you could probably fit 32's if you level out the front. BTW, the standard size of 20's on the F150/expedition is a 275/55/20 which is a 31.94" tire on a 20x8.5" wheel. Also GM uses the same size on the silverado/sierra/tahoe/yukon with factory 20's so there literally are tons of choices out there. You can get a 275/55/20 in an all season, winter, all terrain, and a mud terrain.

My ST came with 31" tires stock 255/55/20.............................
The ST doesn't come with 31" tires. Perhaps you meant the optional 275/45R21 tires.

Peter

My ST came with 31" tires stock 255/55/20 you could probably fit 32's if you level out the front. BTW, the standard size of 20's on the F150/expedition is a 275/55/20 which is a 31.94" tire on a 20x8.5" wheel. Also GM uses the same size on the silverado/sierra/tahoe/yukon with factory 20's so there literally are tons of choices out there. You can get a 275/55/20 in an all season, winter, all terrain, and a mud terrain.
Yuck is everything going that way

You will have a very difficult time fitting 33's on an explorer. It wouldn't drive well either. I'm looking at putting a 1.5" spacer on my 21 limited. Unsure what tires I will be able to fit.

Let me know what you come up with. I’m not getting mine until Nov.

Actually, they do. If you opt for the standard 20's. If you check tire rack just about all 255/55/20's are listed as a 31" tire. Here is the exact tire that came on my ST and it is listed at exactly 31"

Although the overall diameter is 31", those are shown as 255/55R20 tires meant to fit a 20" wheel. The same ones I have on my Aviator. If you look at the Order Guide you will see that the standard tire is 255/55R20 with an optional 275/45R21 (30.7") on some trims. I don't think most people refer to the overall diameter (tire + wheel) but the actual wheel size. That is what threw me off and likely the others in this thread.
When changing sizes keep in mind that the generally accepted nominal diameter difference should not exceed 3% of the OEM size.

Peter

Back