2022 Ford Explorer - Ignition/Accessory "on" wire on driver side fusebox | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2022 Ford Explorer - Ignition/Accessory "on" wire on driver side fusebox

chaos12135

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 FPIU
I have a client coming in with a retail 2022 Ford Explorer XLT (Not a Police Interceptor model), they're looking for some modifications that I have done before on the police models but don't have experience in the retail versions. I'm looking for the ignition/accessory "on" wire color and pattern that is located under the dash on the driver side. I'm trying to avoid fuse tapping into fuse position 20 or 34, so I'm hoping someone else here has done something similar.

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used a fuse-tap on the moon-roof circuit. and ran the dash-cam connector up the driver's side a-pillar.

I used a fuse-tap on the moon-roof circuit. and ran the dash-cam connector up the driver's side a-pillar.

I want to try and avoid doing a fuse tap, especially when you're doing a professional install for your clients vehicles, it can look really tacky. Thank you though for the suggestion (Also I don't believe my customer has a moonroof on this XLT model which would leave fuse position 24 blank).

What color wire is no 37 and where do you tap in to it?

What color wire is no 37 and where do you tap in to it?
At least for me, I still use a micro2 fuse tap but at least if it ever pops out, only your added device will be without power.

I want to try and avoid doing a fuse tap, especially when you're doing a professional install for your clients vehicles, it can look really tacky.
How do you connect your line to the fuse box and have it look nice?

At least for me, I still use a micro2 fuse tap but at least if it ever pops out, only your added device will be without power.

How do you connect your line to the fuse box and have it look nice?

Generally we don't use the fusebox like that, it's used for a reference point but nothing should ever be attached to it unless you're taking the entire thing out and apart and adding your own line, otherwise you're stuck with fuse taps or something that looks poorly installed. I typically always splice the wire from the back of the fuse box, assuming it's located in the driver/passenger compartment.
Then I'll make an in-line fuse for the newly spliced wire, connect it to a 15amp relay that's connected to a constant (i.e. battery) and then connect that to whatever items we're installing.

Now if the customer wants everything OEM like, we mentioned above we can take apart the entire thing, start putting in ****, but most customers never pay for that, because typically it doesn't make a difference. The relay/fuse typically should not ever go out, unless there is an actual issue, so no need for them to pay more for something that is never seen again.

You do not have to share with existing systems.

37 (spare) ACC
29 (spare) constant on

Also, thank you! This is exactly what I needed.

Generally we don't use the fusebox like that, it's used for a reference point but nothing should ever be attached to it unless you're taking the entire thing out and apart and adding your own line, otherwise you're stuck with fuse taps or something that looks poorly installed. I typically always splice the wire from the back of the fuse box, assuming it's located in the driver/passenger compartment.
Then I'll make an in-line fuse for the newly spliced wire, connect it to a 15amp relay that's connected to a constant (i.e. battery) and then connect that to whatever items we're installing.

Now if the customer wants everything OEM like, we mentioned above we can take apart the entire thing, start putting in ****, but most customers never pay for that, because typically it doesn't make a difference. The relay/fuse typically should not ever go out, unless there is an actual issue, so no need for them to pay more for something that is never seen again.

Also, thank you! This is exactly what I needed.
Hi there,

I'm looking for an acc fuse I can tap into on the engine fuse box. Looking to install led strip. I have an 2022 XLT . Fuse #21 is not available.

Back