• Register Today It's free!

20's or 22's?

explorer1988

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Quick question guys, I am in the midst of shopping around for a nice set of rims and tires. I am stuck on what size to go with though..considering I want a lower profile tire to go along with the rim. I am going to keep everything else stock..

What is the best way to go? I am brand new to this scene..and things like "offset" and "backspacing" are confusing me. I want to buy preferably used, but I get worried about problems that may arise in terms of the offset, wheel rubbing, etc etc. Let me know with any suggestions! Thanks! :)

well i like 20s on low pro tires (255/35/20) if the truck is SLAMMED so it doesnt look weird. i also like 22s on low pro tires when its lowered as well.

if your not lowered alot, just go 20s with a thicker tire, or even 22s with like a 35 or 40 series (not sure if you can fit the 40 series tire)

but offsets and things, i dont know about that.. i know when i get my X finished bagged and everything, i want to run 20s for SURE (should be laying frame) but if i can fit 22s on a 30 or 35 series tire, ill do that!:D

You NEED to upgrade the breaks. If you put a bigger rim on that means more weight moving around when you are driving and the stock breaks are not made for this so you NEED better breaks. You can get new rotors and pads from tirerack.com I got mine from there and the prices are pretty good and they ship really fast. I dont have bigger rims but im getting bigger tires, but the idea is the same. My tires will weigh more than the stock ones so I need better breaks.

x2 x 2

well i like 20s on low pro tires (255/35/20) if the truck is SLAMMED so it doesnt look weird. i also like 22s on low pro tires when its lowered as well.

if your not lowered alot, just go 20s with a thicker tire, or even 22s with like a 35 or 40 series (not sure if you can fit the 40 series tire)

but offsets and things, i dont know about that.. i know when i get my X finished bagged and everything, i want to run 20s for SURE (should be laying frame) but if i can fit 22s on a 30 or 35 series tire, ill do that!:D

You NEED to upgrade the breaks. If you put a bigger rim on that means more weight moving around when you are driving and the stock breaks are not made for this so you NEED better breaks. You can get new rotors and pads from tirerack.com I got mine from there and the prices are pretty good and they ship really fast. I dont have bigger rims but im getting bigger tires, but the idea is the same. My tires will weigh more than the stock ones so I need better breaks.

20s :cool:

Back