• Register Today It's free!

255/75R16 over 255/70R16

m_stowe88

Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Explorer Sport
my 2000 explorer sport has been running 255/70R16's since i bought it, my question is;

would it be safe to use 255/75R16's instead?

I'm all stock, no lifts and it looks like i could handle the extra profile, but my biggest concern is would it be safe bearing the weight of the truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what's the tire's load rating? the extra sidewall should be fine as long as the load rateing is good

I have a 99 EXP Sport. Last week I replaced my 9 year old 255-70/16 Good Year All Seasons. I went with Firestone Destination LE's in 265-70/16. These are a tad taller and a tad wider. NO PROBLEM what-so-ever. The tire store was nutty and very conservative as to let someone just change their recommended tire size. (especially on the Exploders, that roll over)!
That said...if you use the 255-75/16, what you are doing is staying very close in width, just hiking the heighth up more. Remember that the Exploders have a high center of gravity to begin with, and that they are proported to be very 'un-manageable' , by the NHTSA, upon a blowout at speed? Therefore, proceed carefully with going ANY taller...:D
Bikeboy

my 2000 explorer sport has been running 255/70R16's since i bought it, my question is;

would it be safe to use 255/75R16's instead?

I'm all stock, no lifts and it looks like i could handle the extra profile, but my biggest concern is would it be safe bearing the weight of the truck?

I'm looking to buy 255/75R16 but can not find anywhere this size.

I am running Cooper Discoverer s/t 255/85/16 with a tt and aal. I put the tires on b-4 the lift and only had to trim 1/2 inch of the molding behind front tire on my 98 sport.

Back