2nd day blues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd day blues

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 4x4 Explorer Centaurus
I just bought a 96 Eddie Bower edition Ford Explorer Centaurus. Test drove beautifully yesterday. But on my way home with it it started acting as if it were stuck in 4 wheel low and won't shift out. Have tried all the typical stuff to get it straight to no avail. It's a beautiful truck and I feel it can't be anything superserious. Would hate to have to return it and would definately appreciate any possable help with straightening it out if anyone has any ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try putting it in 4 low while its in neutral, then put in back in two and pull the fuse on 4 wheel. and plug it back in, see if that works, or reset the computer. Take the neg side of battery off for a while, between 15 and 20 min!

Ok I tried the neutral thing and pulling off the negative cable but not the fuse. Any idea what the fuse number is?

Well I'm a step closer to figuring out my problem. My wife found a post on one of the other Explorer forums through google that made mention of the motor that changes the transfer case into 4wdh, 4wdl, and 2wd. After reading that post I removed that motor to see that the transfer case indeed was in low. So I mounted the motor out of the way and manually moved it to the 2wd position and tested it and it ran like a champ. You can see by the 4wd lights in the dash it's still trying to kick it into 4wd. Checked the motor and got no action from it whatsoever. So my new question is what way can a good old boy like me check to see if the motor is just not getting power or if it's completely gone?

Well I'm a step closer to figuring out my problem. My wife found a post on one of the other Explorer forums through google that made mention of the motor that changes the transfer case into 4wdh, 4wdl, and 2wd. After reading that post I removed that motor to see that the transfer case indeed was in low. So I mounted the motor out of the way and manually moved it to the 2wd position and tested it and it ran like a champ. You can see by the 4wd lights in the dash it's still trying to kick it into 4wd. Checked the motor and got no action from it whatsoever. So my new question is what way can a good old boy like me check to see if the motor is just not getting power or if it's completely gone?

here is the shift motor rebuild
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542

I would like to explain a little something. I have never had luck with Fords in all my 20yrs of driving. Only Ford I ever had luck with was an old Ranchero with a 302 in it you absolutely could not kill so for the longest I strayed away from Fords. And when I say we didn't get along I mean not even in the slightest. So the day before yesterday I was ready to snap when I decided to show faith in this one and buy it only to have it mess up on the way home from the lot. I am more than glad that I found this forum and maybe Ford and I can mend our past through this beautiful little truck. Thank you for the quick reply and I have to say whoever did that writeup on repairing that motor did an excellent job.

One thing I would also like to ask is on that 96 Explorer is it normal for it to kick in 4wd on it's own on steep grades or a certain amount of speed loss?

One thing I would also like to ask is on that 96 Explorer is it normal for it to kick in 4wd on it's own on steep grades or a certain amount of speed loss?

When in auto mode, yes.

First of all, make sure you're attempting to shift it properly: You must be stopped, in neutral, with your foot on the brakes, then flip the switch.

The motor on a 2nd-generation Explorer does not control the 2wd to 4auto in the 95 and 96s, or the 4auto to 4high shift in the 97-01s, only the range selection (high to low or vice-versa). Transfer case lockup is electronically controlled by the Transfer Case Clutch Coil, the Torque On Demand Relay, and the GEM.

Now, I don't have the schematics for a 96 in front of me at the moment, so I can't quote anything accurately, but I'll try and look it up in the morning and get back to you.

-Joe

I dont think the auto feature was available till 97 witht he SOHC, so i believe it says 2wd-4wd-4wdl, and if thats the case, no, thats not normal.

I dont think the auto feature was available till 97 witht he SOHC, so i believe it says 2wd-4wd-4wdl, and if thats the case, no, thats not normal.

Incorrect... 95s and 96s had 2wd/4auto/4low. 97-01s have 4auto/4high/4low... I grouped my terms incorrectly... I'll correct them momentarily... sorry for the confusion.

However, in either vehicle, when in 4auto, it's still normal.

Ok so the switch beside the radio says it's in 2wd but the 4wd and 4wd low lights keep flashing on the dash. What's that about?

It means that the system has detected a fault, and the automatic 4wd will likely not function. Regular 2wd will work just fine, but it's likely that something else is wrong.

Unfortunately that trouble code is stored on the GEM, not the ECU. The only way of pulling those codes AFAIK is with an NGS test stand. If you know anyone that works at a dealership, now's the time to call in a favor.

-Joe

If it says 2wd, not auto, there is auto feature. If its in 2wd, it will stay that way until you flip the switch manualy. I remember that from my dads 96 explorer.

If it says 2wd, not auto, there is auto feature. If its in 2wd, it will stay that way until you flip the switch manualy. I remember that from my dads 96 explorer.

I don't know what the confusion is? As I already stated, the 95 and 96 has 2wd/4auto/4low, and the 97-01s have 4auto/4high/4low. However, on any of them, if the lights start blinking like they have in his case, the system has detected a fault and the 4wd is disabled.

Oh, im sorry, i didnt read correctly. Yes, i agree with. Sorry for the confusion.

Back