2nd Gen Explorer front bumper question??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Gen Explorer front bumper question???

SidneyH471

Reaction score
City, State
Valley, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
Will the newer 2nd gen front bumper mount up to the 95-97 model brackets? Just wanted to know if that small conversion was possible before I went looking for a bumper! My body lift brackets are currently being fabricated so ill need a bumper soon. Also any intel on how to raise the brush guard with the body lift?

Thanks, Sidney

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the bumpers interchange, I have one on my 97

Thanks delexploder, if you don't mind my asking. What did you do about the fog light mounts?

They are part of the bumper, the bumper is held on with two nuts per side right on the end of the frame rails , dont take the bumper apart, you gotta get the under and look at the back of it to see the mounts

Thanks buddy. Gotta get my hands on one first that isn't going to be a 2 hour drive. I assume you removed the original fog light mounts for the original year model bumper, correct?

Thanks, Sidney

If I am reading your signature correctly (If not, please take into consideration I have enjoyed a few beers on my off day lol) I noticed it said you have a 99 hatch on your 97 model. I had a 96 model explorer that I put a 2000 explorer rear hatch on and it fit like a glove. Tried it again with my third explorer (Drove all the way to Atlanta and stripped a guys explorer of all rear hatch components) but it did not fit. It would open a 1/4" before binding with the roof. Any idea if there are some specs with certain year models on that conversion that I am missing as well? I really do appreciate your help!

The fog light mounts are bolted to the bumper and you dont need to touch them, just swap the whole bumper, its four nuts, two on each frame end, the plugs for the fog lights are the same, as for the hatch there is room for adjustment but you gotta drop the headliner, mine was a huge pain to get lined up,

Any idea if there are some specs with certain year models on that conversion that I am missing as well? I really do appreciate your help!

I do know that there's a lot of adjustment of the two hatch hinges, and if you don't have them adjusted right you will get binding with the roof.

I had a terrible time getting mine to line up. Lots of swearing. I had to remove the hatch struts, with them installed the pressure keeps you from being able to adjust the hinge. Be warned - once you remove the hatch strut, the hatch is unsupported. Don't let it fall on you!

Thanks guys. I guess i got lucky on my first rear hatch conversion and lined them up right without even trying. I didn't notice on the second one that there was room for adjustment. I may look into another one since black is a common color. Trying to figure out my gauge cluster illumination at this very moment. I can't see anything at night!

Back