2wd Front Hub / Bearing Assy Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2wd Front Hub / Bearing Assy Replacement

rob04

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Mountaineer
Hey everyone - just wanted to post a bit of advice. For the past few weeks i've heard a loud groan when going down the road. Based on the symptoms I diagnosed it to the be the front passenger wheel bearing.

Nonetheless - thanks to everyone that has contributed to the wealth of pictures and knowledge on this forum. It saved me at least $400!

A bit of advice though to 2WD owners... almost every picture & write up I found talked about a wheel nut and 30mm socket. Well I didn't realize at the time (although it is quite a doh moment now) that none of that is needed to replace the front hubs on the 2wd models. You still have the 3 mounting bolts but you do not have axle, wheel nut. Good thing I rented socket from Autozone :)

I figured I'd post this tidbit for those looking to replace the front hub on a 2WD model.

Thanks again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the tip!!

I've got to do both of mine too... Just another thing on the to do list....

Hey everyone - just wanted to post a bit of advice. For the past few weeks i've heard a loud groan when going down the road. Based on the symptoms I diagnosed it to the be the front passenger wheel bearing.

Nonetheless - thanks to everyone that has contributed to the wealth of pictures and knowledge on this forum. It saved me at least $400!

A bit of advice though to 2WD owners... almost every picture & write up I found talked about a wheel nut and 30mm socket. Well I didn't realize at the time (although it is quite a doh moment now) that none of that is needed to replace the front hubs on the 2wd models. You still have the 3 mounting bolts but you do not have axle, wheel nut. Good thing I rented socket from Autozone :)

I figured I'd post this tidbit for those looking to replace the front hub on a 2WD model.

Thanks again!

Thanks again!
!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!
So how do you remove the wheel hub??

Back