• Register Today It's free!

2wd front wheal bearing

silentchris

Reaction score
City, State
burke va
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 explorer sport
my passenger front wheal bearing decided it no longer likes life on my way home today it started squealing really bad the wheal clunks if you push on the top, i cant find anything on how to replace them on a rwd truck can it be done without a press. do i need to replace the race

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually a very simple repair on my 2WD 97 EB; not sure if 02 Sport is the same. The hub and rotor are a one piece unit, and the inner bearing races are part of the hub. As long as the races are not damaged, all you do is: remove brake caliper, pads and bracket; remove dust cap at end of axle; pull cotter pin and remove castle nut cover and axle nut (25mm I believe); pull out on hub/rotor and big washer and outside bearing will fall out in your hand. Lay the hub assembly down, pry out rear grease seal, and rear bearing will lift right out. Assuming races are OK, just grease up new bearings and reverse process; don't forget new grease seal for rear bearing. Worst case, you will have to replace hub/rotor also if races are damaged. New hub/rotor for mine is $50-60 at Advance.

The races are pressed into the disk but its easy to get to them with a long punch it might be good to replace them since they usually come with the bearings
If the races are bad you can use a punch to get them out and to put new ones in, i just did this took about an hour.

Cool but did you need new rotors??? mine had like 30k on them and they looked great.
Bearings are like $10.00 for the set

The races are pressed into the disk but its easy to get to them with a long punch it might be good to replace them since they usually come with the bearings
If the races are bad you can use a punch to get them out and to put new ones in, i just did this took about an hour.

I did not realize that the races came out - good to know. I have never had to replace them, as the rotors usually go long before the bearings and the new hub/rotors I got came with the races already installed.:)

the outer race was destroyed i hammered it out with a socket and a block of wood hammered the new one in the inner one was fine i put it back together only to discover the driver side is starting to hum

Does it matter what kind of grease to use on the wheel bearings?

Zen

Yes - you want to use a high temp wheel bearing grease. The stuff I use is red; don't know what the brand name is and it's at home.

Back