2wd to 4x4 conversion | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2wd to 4x4 conversion

You kind of lost me there, not sure what the hub is. But sounds like something I'm going to be researching since I still haven't purchased anything, I'm looking at all my options.. I just thougt what engages the front drive line is the transfer case, and the front drive was just a differential system with a limited slip...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the 4wd explorers the hub is actually the wheel bearing/hub assembly. It is where the CV(axle) shaft connects to the wheels to drive them. On the explorers they have what is called a "live axle". This means that the CV shafts are always connected to the front hub assemblies, you can't disconnect them. On a live axle setup the front drive shaft, differential and CV shafts are always turning, even when not engaged in the transfer case. This is so when the auto4wd kicks in the front shafts are already spinning at speed and the transfer case can just engage the internal clutch and then you have auto4wd. On the 98,99,00 Ranger there was no live axle. They had vacuum operated automatic hubs. In this type of setup the front driveline doesn't turn in 2wd because the front CV shafts are disconnected from the front wheels. When you engage 4wd a vacuum switch engages a locking hub to connect the CV shafts to the front wheels. While convenient for the operator this type of system was problematic, with vacuum leaks or bad seals rendering the system inoperable. So several companies made manual hub replacements for the vacuum auto hubs. If you're not familiar, a manual hub is just that, you manually switch it from "free" to "lock" to engage the front driveline. That is the system I installed on my Mounty. I converted the live axle setup to a manual hub setup. See this thread it explains it pretty well. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284136
This thread is for a Ranger, but also works on Explorers as well because the front driveline and suspensions are the same. I got a little off topic there but what was trying to say in my earlier post was that you won't be able to use the 96 front driveline. It has a different type of axle setup that you would have a difficult time trying to get working. The 97+ front setup is the way to go. This conversion is going to be challenging enough, you don't want to make it harder on yourself. I mentioned the Ranger setup to let you know you have more options out there to choose from. I know you're just in the planning stages but if you have any questions just ask. There's alot of knowledge here.

AL, thanks for the input, defenatly very helpfull since i'm currently brainstorming just like you mentioned. So from the thread you linked, once the conversion is done, you have to turn the round hub cap at the wheel to lock/ unlock correct? Also, will i still need to get a 1354 transfer case or will a auto stock gen 2 t/c work? Remember my X is currently 2wd with 2wd wiring harness.. I've also thought about selling it, buying a 4x4 and doing the conversion you did. What would you recommend since you have a better idea of the amount of work/ $ involved..

The conversion is a lot of work. Not that I'm trying to talk you out of it. If you have the time,money, and where-with-all for it then by all means go for it. As for the wiring, all Ex's are wired for 4wd the difference is a wiring harness from under the drivers seat to the transfer case is not there. And the GEM module is different. Using manual hubs with the stock 4405 t-case is not optimal. The case and GEM don't like the front shaft not spinning. Swapping in a 1354 is the way to go in my opinion. It would definitely be quicker and easier to by a 4wd model and convert to manual hubs. It's all about what you're up for.

Well, i'm in the middle of doing the rocker arms and push rods on my x, and once i get it running i'm thinking about selling it.. I've looked at the pros and cons about converting it to 4x4 and it involves too much work (front axels, tranny, rear differential, t/c, ect..), if i was to go solid axel or something like it would be worth it, but to go to a practically stock 4x4 setup i'm thinking it's better to just sell and get a original 4x4.. But thanks for all the info cause once i get my new x i'm doing the 1354 t/c conversion and eventually swapping the front axels.. BTW, what year model 4x4 X would you recommend? I've been researching 96' models since they have the front axel system that unlocks.. Any advise would be appreciated..

I can see your point, all that work for a basically stock ex doesn't seem worth it. It would have to be a labor of love to take that on. My personal preference would be a 98-01. I don't trust the CAD. It's vacuum operated like the ranger hubs, and prone to problems. Besides, I've had my 99 since it was new and I don't think I would have anything other than a 98-01. But I think that more than anything it's personal preference. I guess you have to decide what traits and features you like best and use that to decide. Good luck with the engine issue and let us know what you decide.

hey man, there is a guy on here selling basically his whole front end. make him an offer. his name is dandsphillips. hes on here somewhere.

Back