• Register Today It's free!

2wd to 4x4 conversion

miagonz85

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Hi guys, i have a 1998 2wd X, i just got some nice 15x10 rims for it. I have decided that i want to go 4x4 one way or the other. I'm mechanically inclined and can handle a conversion project, i've done some research on 2wd to 4x4 conversion and have not found much (might be researching the wrong info). Can anyone provide any info or link on this subject ? I would rather go with a front end solid axel or is this the only way to go?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTW, i've thought about selling my X and buying a 4x4 except i've read about bearing issues and other issues once they are lifted. Is going with a solid axel more reliable? Or is there other problems with solid axels that i should know about?

ok, i've been looking in the wrong section!!! Found tons of info in the explorer/ranger solid axel section.. Looks like tons of work and $, would you guys recommend it? I just want to be able to run 35's+ the most reliable way. I may occasionally go mudding but not on a regular basis or too hard core.

The 2 easiest solutions would be to buy a 4wd transmission, and a 1354 manual transfercase, with the manual case you wouldn't have to swap all the electronics. From there you could either go solid axle or install a factory front axle, knuckes, cv axles, etc.

Option 2 would be to buy a wrecked on cheaply and use it for all of your parts, swapping in the electric case and it's computer, axle, etc.

i've been reading and there's tons of different ways to go solid axel, what would be the easiest conversion? Is there such a truck/suv (i would buy the whole vehicle wrecked/find it cheap) that i can use to transfer everything or that would require the minimum modification during the transfer/ conversion?

just scrap an explorer within your year

ok, i went to my local junk yards today and got a quote on complete 4x4 conversion parts. $1000
I noticed on the drive selector it had 3 options 1.auto 2. low 3.high, so this might be a dumb question but, then 4x4 explorers are 4wd all the time?? If so, will i have the option to go from 2wd to 4wd with a 1354 transfer case like techieman33 recommended? I want to be able to drive daily on 2wd and **** to awd when needed.

ok, good deal, i'm going to decide on a setup and start the conversion. I'm going to upgrade my membership so i can post pics. Thanks for the help! BTW, which setup would you recommend?

I'm going to start doing my research on the 1354 transfer case swap. I'm leaning towards going this route. If i head to the junk yard again, what should i look for? A gen 2, 4x4 tranny and a gen 1 transfer case? Will the gen 1 case bolt right into the the gen 2 tranny?

is there a way to use a manual 1354 t/c with my 2wd tranny? Because my wiring harness might not match the sensors for a gen 2, 4x4 tranny. Or is it the same? Also, does anyone have a pic of how the manual shifter would look on a gen 2 with the long console? Or is it not possible to use a long console?

you can use a bell housing from a 4wd transmission and take off the 2wd bell housing on your transmission, but as far as i know thats not like a 30 minute job... i think id just rather get a whole 4wd transmission. im sure more people with 4wds could fill you in on that subject.

Well if that's an easier swap I'll go with a complete 4wd tranny. It's just that I undrstood, from what I've been reading that 4wd trannys have different sensors that my 2wd harness might not match, if I'm wrong please correct me. I'm heading to the salvage yard right now to look for a 1354 transfer case!!!

I had no luck finding a 1354 transfer case but did find a shop that will exchange my 2wd tranny for a 4wd tranny. I guess that's a start.

ok guys, i'm looking to buy the complete front drive system from a 96' 4x4 explorer, except i noticed the selector has different options vs. the 97+ models, is there a difference? what changes from 96' to 97+ 4x4 models?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 96 front axle is different than the 97+ ones. 96 has a vacuum operated disconnect that gives you 2wd and the 97+ have a live axle setup with no disconnect. This means that even though you're in 2wd the front driveline is still spinning. This is so the auto4wd can kick in at any time. I you wanted to get creative you could get all of the front driveline from a 98,99 or early 00 ranger. They're identical except that you can run manual hubs up front because they had auto vacuum hubs and there is a company that makes manual hubs for that application. I swapped the live axle out in my 99 Mounty and used a front axle setup from a 99 ranger and went with manual hubs. You might want to give that some thought.

Back