• Register Today It's free!

v8 5.0 2x4 to 4x4 conversion

Hunter32

Reaction score
City, State
Edgewater, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 5.0
Hey guys I've been looking real hard for 2wd to 4wd conversions. The only ones I've come up with are either 4.0l v6 2wd to 4wd or 5.0l v8 awd to 4wd. I have yet to find a single thread that has a v8 2wd to 4wd conversion. So lets make this thread the first one!

If anyone found another v8 2wd to 4wd conversion thread, please let me know, I'd like to take a look at it. I imagine it can't be much different than the 5.0 awd to 4wd conversion, but all of those that I've seen have done manual transfer cases. I'd like to get the automatic "turn the switch" style 4wd.

If you have any information or a thread, please post it here! Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im looking into using the 4406e also, there is some info on here but its scattered and im still digging for more myself. Once you either swap your trans out for a 4wd ( awd) unit or convert yours we will be pretty much in the same boat.

Oh and i plan on this for my mounty not my 5.0 sport.

The front end will be the same as a v6 (bolt in from a donor). Put whatever ever transfer case you want behind it, and you would have to get an awd explorer/mountaineer trans. So basically buy a v8 awd donor and find the transfer case you want, or go buy a awd explorer and do a transfercase swap.

So do I have the option of putting in an automatic transfer case to where I can just use the 2wd 4lo 4hi selector switch on the dash? or was that option only for the v6 explorer and that transfer case wont work?

The v8 has a different case that's full time all wheel drive, it sucks, you can use a t-case from an f-150 if you want to be able to choose 4wd or 2wd but if you want a switch or electronic shift its alot more involved and few have done it. There are threads under the modified section.

The front end will be the same as a v6 (bolt in from a donor). Put whatever ever transfer case you want behind it, and you would have to get an awd explorer/mountaineer trans. So basically buy a v8 awd donor and find the transfer case you want, or go buy a awd explorer and do a transfercase swap.

So if I do this, as you say, I can get a transmission from an AWD v8 explorer and then use a transfer case from an f-150. Will they fit together? I know I'll need a shorter driveshaft

Use the search button and type in 4406 you will get all the info you need on the transfer case,

Use the search button and type in 4406 you will get all the info you need on the transfer case,

^^^^^^

Yes the driveshafts are different. An AWD transmission from a exploder will bolt up to most if not all v8 transfer cases. You just need to find one that fits the frame and torsions. 4406 is most common and has been done alot, thats why delexpoder suggested searching for that swap. It will give you a parts break down for a true bolt application. I don't have the 4406, but I don't have torsions or an exploder ifs 4wd unit either.

Back