2x4 - 4x4 conversion write up is here! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2x4 - 4x4 conversion write up is here!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Insurance companys go by Vin# for the cost of insurance. So by that it would not save you the $400 becuase the truck is still registered as a 4x4. And since your not using the 4x4 it wont hurt the CV by lowering it even more then 4 inches.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kris does make a good point here....

Bigcheck1, I have 3" body with spacers and shackles... about 5" total lift. The tires are 33x12.50 goodyear MT/R's. They fit find with a little fender trimming, and I did tear up my LF wheel well pretty good last weekend at GWNF. A 6" superlift is on the way though (taking off the body) so clearence will be no more problem.

Chris

Originally posted by Kris Guilbeaux
Insurance companys go by Vin# for the cost of insurance. So by that it would not save you the $400 becuase the truck is still registered as a 4x4. And since your not using the 4x4 it wont hurt the CV by lowering it even more then 4 inches.

well.. as unpopular as it is, the idea is for me to "slam it" so it can lay frame.. well actually lay body.. i am getting an internship at a auto customization shop in ohio and want to bring this as my "project"... it'll get the treatment.. suicide doors *(the rear two)*, air bag suspension, body drop, and reverse opening hood.. not to mention shaved body, etc... so yeah.. it was this or find a nice totalled ranger/s-10 and bring that.. and since i really couldnt afford insurance on 2 cars, let alone one, i think i might work on the explorer.. plus it opens up the market a bit, showing the possiblities of the explorer... orriginality and such... everyone can trick a s-10, or a ranger.. they make kits for them all day.. but a custom explorer.. now there is an accomplishment.

4x4 conversion for a 2001 EXP SPORT

Hey guys. I have a 2001 exp sport with 33 x 12.5 MTs, with a 4 inch lift and it's KILLING me knowing that I don't have 4WD. It's caused me to be reluctant or very cautious when I do rough offroading. UGG! I was wondering if a conversion is possible and how much would it cost me. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Brian

Brian.. what 4" kit do you have on your 2nd gen 2WD??

A 4WD conversion on a 2nd gen is VERY possible and probably a lot easier than you think. The majority of the suspension on 2WD and 4WDs are the same. You'd need to get/adapt a 4WD tranny.. a tcase should bolt right in.. same with the front diffy. Then add the halfshafts and spindles and driveshafts.

Since you'd have a real tcase you'd need it wired up inorder to shift it. I'd talk to stadx2 since he manually wired up the same tcase you'd use to work in a non-stock application.

As far as costs.. I think I'm going to just about break even with mine. I got all my parts for cheap... and after selling all my old stuff and the stuff I'm not using.. I should just about come out where I started! So watch for those deals! :D

I just have the 3" body lift, and a 1" torsion / AAL lift. Would you know of any writeups for the 2nd generation explorers? I'm very interested in doing this. I'd much rather invest in this than spend $1700 on gears/air locker + install. How much would I spend here, if I didn't sell my old parts? thanks

Brian

I'm very interested in the same. I miss my 4wd in the ole' '93 xlt. My mom gave me her 2wd as a grad. present so i wasn't gonna argue w/ that. I definetly miss the 4wd...

I sort of have a 2nd gen write up:
Dead Link Removed

I think I was the first to do the 4x4 to 4x2 conversion.. ahh its great.. my tranz went again.. I think this time I'm gonna get a 2wd trans... since my transfer case is still chillin there..I need a driveshaft though... and a tail...

I think I was the first to do the 4x4 to 4x2 conversion

Have any info on your conversion anywhere??

EDIT: I have a driveshaft from a 96 2WD V8 laying around. I wonder if it'd fit?

Hey BarberJ,

Is your X 2dr or 4dr. I to have a drive shaft for a 4dr.

I have a 2001 Explorer Sport 2WD. If there is anyone that wants to convert from a 4WD to a 2WD, we can make an even trade for parts or I'll even throw in a few extra benjis.

Thanks,
Brian

Alright so what all do i exactly need if i'm going to go to 4wd?
Transfer case w/ 3.73's to match my back.
New tranny.
Driveshaft.
Solid axle....woohoo!

What else?

on a 96? Umm, Front axle with gears to match the rear, 4wd output shaft, 4wd tail shaft housing (these may be different between the 2 generation so I am not sure), front and rear drive shafts. If you are going solid, then a lot of fab work. If you are going to go with stock drive train, then the whole front suspension.

I'm a firm believer that there is no difference in the suspension between the 2WD and 4WD 2nd gen Explorers. I think that the Superlift suspension lift could go on a 2WD no problem. Unless I'm missing something. Can anyone correct me?

I thought there was a difference in the Torsion bar??? Lenght, or bracketry?? Not sure... I'll have to look/take pics of 2wd and 4wd second gen's when they come into the shop from now on.

chris

Would this be the basics on converting 2WD to 4WD? I really want to convert my 2WD SportTrac to 4WD. I just cant afford a new vehicle right now.

Back