• Register Today It's free!

3.55 to 3.73???

bloodhound03

Reaction score
City, State
Lakewood, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
I just found out that my Explorer 4x4 4.0 has the 3.55 gear ratio in it. This limits me to towing roughly 3400 pounds. Is it possilble to change it out to a 3.73 ratio to get the full 5,000 pounds? I did not want to burn something out. Does Ford use the same transmissions, brakes, etc. from the factory with both the 3.55 and 3.73 ratios?
Just wondering?
I would like to pull an RV other than a popup.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bloodhound03 said:
I just found out that my Explorer 4x4 4.0 has the 3.55 gear ratio in it. This limits me to towing roughly 3400 pounds. Is it possilble to change it out to a 3.73 ratio to get the full 5,000 pounds? I did not want to burn something out. Does Ford use the same transmissions, brakes, etc. from the factory with both the 3.55 and 3.73 ratios?
Just wondering?
I would like to pull an RV other than a popup.

yes, the transmission/brakes are the same, but the numrically higher gear ratio will cause less stress on the vehicle at the expense of fuel economy. Yes you can change the gears, but your spedometer gear will also have to be changed to keep it accurate.
I went from 3.27 to 3.73 in my 92, and increased my tow rating from 1,900 lbs to 2,900 lbs. (I have the 5 speed manual)
good luck

I'm planning the same thing. I have 3.27s and am going to get 4.10s.

Having gears installed will run you about $600 per axle. the cheaper way of doing it is going to the junkyard and finding an Explorer/ranger with the gears you want and just buy the whole axle and swap that in. You can get axles in excelent condidtion from a junkyard for about 200 a piece.

I don't why Ford says that the auto will tow more than the manual. Most people on this board will tell you that the manual is a much stronger tranny than the auto in explorers. They generally last about twice as long as the autos. I have a manual and I've exceeded the recomended towing cap of 2000# numerous times. I have 100,000 miles on the truck and it still shifts smooth as silk.

IMHO it would not be worth the money at all to go from 3:55 to 3:73. That's alot of dough for such a small change. What exact tire size are you running? It would be more worth it to go 4:10's. Unless you do alot of 75mph traveling unloaded i bet you wouldnt even notice a difference in fuel mileage.

$600 where are you going? I did a gear change and a ls for $200 at mustang shop here in dallas where i live.

that was the minimum price quoted me by 5 different shops in Rockford, IL.

Whoa the manuals will only tow 2000lbs where as the auto (with tow package) will tow 5000lbs thats weird:confused: any idea as to why this is?

I know a manual makes pulling hills much easier as you can choose your gear better the an auto will.

explodr04 said:
$600 where are you going? I did a gear change and a ls for $200 at mustang shop here in dallas where i live.

A Mustang only needs 1 differential changed. A 4x4 needs 2. So that's $400 right there, Dallas Texas prices. Rockford IL where he's from is a more expensive place to live than Dallas so it may well be $300 per axle.

I agree with james 3.55 to 3.73 is not a worthwhile gear change if you ask me. There won't be any noticeable difference in performance and even though the tow rating is higher with 3.73, in my opinion you ought to probably get 4.10's if you plan to tow a significant weight (i.e. more than a lightly loaded single-axle flatbed trailer).

Back