3.5L Ecoboost Owners - What MPG are you getting? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3.5L Ecoboost Owners - What MPG are you getting?

Sorry, It had been a while since I checked it. My bad. I just went out to specifically confirm and it is up to 13.4mpg now. Still not great but getting better. Most of the trips are short and in town so that is part of it. The transmission is starting to learn how I drive so that could be part of the increase as well.
Don't forget that the dash display reads on the generous side so you could be an mpg or so less than what it shows. I used the instructions in this thread to correct mine. It may not work in all model years. How to: - AFE Bias - How to correct your MPG readout/display

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I new to the forum and did a search but nothing in the results I could find to answer my question.

I have a new 2018 Explorer Sport with the 3.5 Ecoboost. The thing is absolutely horrible on fuel economy. Can anyone compare what they are getting with theirs? I have about 1600 plus miles on it now and it is averaging only mid 13s MPG with mixed driving. I did straight runs on the highway for most of a tank full and was only getting about 16.5, and that was truly all highway.
I agree. I have just purchased a 2019 Ford Explorer 3.5 Ecoboost AWD and with only 500+ miles I am averaging 13.3. My city seems to be about 9 mpg and highway a little higher in order to average 13.3. The sticker indicated 16 city, 22 highway, average 18. Not happy. What can we do?

I agree. I have just purchased a 2019 Ford Explorer 3.5 Ecoboost AWD and with only 500+ miles I am averaging 13.3. My city seems to be about 9 mpg and highway a little higher in order to average 13.3. The sticker indicated 16 city, 22 highway, average 18. Not happy. What can we do?
Granted I only have the NA, but that sounds like my mileage in winter (with lots of idling to warm the car up).

Well if that continues I would take it in. I have 2017 Sport with Livernois tune and always see around 19.2-19.4mpg average. I put on about 50mi per day no matter what- highway miles. My coworker has a 2015 Explorer Sport and drives side streets to work and also is around 18.9-19.1mpg. So I suspect you haven’t given it enough time.

Welcome to the Forum Robert.:wave:
As to your question "What can we do?" The Owner's Manual states in order to get a more accurate mileage figure wait until you have 2000 miles on the vehicle. It lists the initial "break in" period as 1000 miles.

Peter

After 25k miles my onboard MPG readout is 17.9, with about 80% city driving. You can see by that optimistic mpg reading that I get less than 300 miles on a tank.
We've taken two 1,500 mile trips, fully loaded, 3 adults, hot weather in mountainous terrain and the dash readout was 22 mpg for the overall trip.
Update on my 2016 ExPlat at 35k miles: Since moving to the Phoenix, AZ area 4 months ago my mpg's have done a nosedive. Now, it's local driving for about 95% of the time, lots of idling, short stop and start trips, both A/C's are on 100% of the time with July daytime weather over 100F+ (was a toasty 113F today). I'm averaging 12 mpg's, pretty bad.

It was rather warm in the summer where we used to live too so this is unexpected. Other than the usual quirks the car is running ok, the front radiator fans are at full blast most of the time tho.

I've been using whatever 87 octane gas we come across here, I might try a few tankfuls of 91 octane as an experiment.

I dropped off my 17' Explorer Sport this Friday morning to the Ford dealer for the rear toe recall, roof rail covers popping off, rear washers not squirting, boost surging and poor gas mileage (12 mpg average) on gauges. Based on manually recording odometer readings and fill up on 91 octane, I confirmed gauge readings. Getting less than 200 miles on a full tank is expensive, especially only having 22k miles on my Ex.

Thought it would be fixed the same day, but they're keeping it over the weekend for more testing, as they await responses from Ford engineers with regards to their test results. Is this normal?

I dropped off my 17' Explorer Sport this Friday morning to the Ford dealer for the rear toe recall, roof rail covers popping off, rear washers not squirting, boost surging and poor gas mileage (12 mpg average) on gauges. Based on manually recording odometer readings and fill up on 91 octane, I confirmed gauge readings. Getting less than 200 miles on a full tank is expensive, especially only having 22k miles on my Ex.

Thought it would be fixed the same day, but they're keeping it over the weekend for more testing, as they await responses from Ford engineers with regards to their test results. Is this normal?

Yeah that can't be normal. 200 miles for a tank is abysmal. If I were you, I would take your explorer on the highway, reset the mpg readout mid driving and just drive for 10 min or so and see what you get.

I run on 87 and get around 450km (280miles) out of a tank, my commute hold a little slow moving traffic (2 intersection where I stop and go, the rest is rather fluid. I usually tailgate so no one can cut off the line.)
So end up (as per computer) around 13.8l/100km. (17mpg)
Resetted once why hauling a huge trailer 12x8, 7'high: 22l/100 km !!!

At least they seem to be searching/finding something!

I run on 87 and get around 450km (280miles) out of a tank, my commute hold a little slow moving traffic (2 intersection where I stop and go, the rest is rather fluid. I usually tailgate so no one can cut off the line.)
So end up (as per computer) around 13.8l/100km. (17mpg)
Resetted once why hauling a huge trailer 12x8, 7'high: 22l/100 km !!!

At least they seem to be searching/finding something!
I think if you do a manual calculation that you will find your MPG will be less. Probably low 16's

Peter

Quick update on my MPG issue, they're diagnostic results while plugged into my EX showed them 19-20 average, but my gauge shows 11.7. They are still waiting for Ford Tech to respond with corrective action.

Thanks Peter for the link, I had been thinking about doing that for a few weeks, when the thread started.

Probably not in the direction the OP wanted but I find it interesting. Using 91 octane and towing a 3,000 lb pontoon boat (weight not the issue, think frontal area) and it gets between 12.5 to 13 mpg. That out runs my diesel truck pulling our camper.... speed and mpg wise.

I just stumbled on this post. I have been driving a 2016 T250 with the 3.5 (company vehicle, was brand new and the 3.5 was the reason I purchased the Explorer) and it 'seems' to get better mileage than my Explorer.
I'm going to check the van on the next fill up. I'm pretty constant 50/50 freeway and street, it weighs in at about 7,000 lb.
I'm going on a nice road trip at the end of this month from Olympia WA to Las Vegas. I'm going to have a full top rack on the way down and nothing on top on the way back. I'll even take off the cross bars. I'll do all 87 octane and compare E10 with E0. I will compare the onboard computer with actual fuel receipts. Tire pressure will be checked and a fresh oil change.
Stay tuned...

Just remember that the limit with the Moonroof is 45 lbs.

Peter

I get about 16 mpg but I regular go 65-70ish to and from work on the highway. I also have 22's which might make a difference.

I get about 16 mpg but I regular go 65-70ish to and from work on the highway. I also have 22's which might make a difference.
If your overall diameter is larger than the OEM then you should get slightly better mileage unless the extra weight offsets that.

Peter

Hi. I am having the same problem as you are. 20,000 miles and averaging 10-11 MPG less than 250 miles on a full tank of gas. This is frustrating. Please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi. I am having the same problem as you are. 20,000 miles and averaging 10-11 MPG less than 250 miles on a full tank of gas. This is frustrating. Please help.
That really sucks. Something is obviously wrong with your vehicles. I have a 2017 Platinum, so same engine as your Sport and my average mileage around town is about 16 and on the hiway about 21 to 23 using only 87 octane ARCO gas

Back