Fordowner

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I own a '95 XLT 4 wheel drive that has 106k miles on it-

I am not a great mechanic or anything, but I like to work on things when I can-

I had to replace the transmission at about 88k miles late last year- I bought it from Ford and had it installed - came with a 3 yr warranty

I started noticing a few weeks back that my car was idling rough. The rpms would jump back and forth 500-600 higher while idling, gurgle once in a while and the car would die. I cleaned out the throttle body, still had the problem. I took it by a mechanic who heard a vacuum sound when I turned the car off. I replaced the upper intake manifold gasket and at the same time, cleaned out the injectors and replaced the O rings (top and bottom) on them. My car ran better but still had the rough idle problem. I then unplugged the Idle control air sensor (??) and it get jumping up and down rpm wise. I replaced the Idle control air sensor (??) and the jumping around stopped. However while idling at a stand still once in a while the car will gurgle and die. I put a can of sea foam treatment in the gas tank just now.

1. Any thoughts on what else might be causing my car to gurgle and die occasionally while idling ?

I am also hearing a clunking sound when I am driving 50-65 mph and let off the gas. It does not make the sound every time and sometimes it is louder.

3. What might be causing the clunking sound? I thought maybe my U joints as they have not been replaced. Anything else it could be ?

And lastly, my AC compressor clutch engages all the time - I hate hearing it going on and off all the time- What makes it worse is I have bad hearing and can still hear it-

4. Is it normal for the AC compressor to kick on and off all the time? If not whats the solution?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me.

Art

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on the AC side of things, it is likely that your AC is low and as a result, the low pressure switch is triggering your compressor on and off.

1. Could be the MAF causing the rough idle if it's dirty. Also, when was the last time you changed plugs in the vehicle. Bad/worn/dirty plugs could also cause the problem.

2. U-Joints are a distinct possibility. Either that or the drive shaft slip joint could use some lubrication. They are notorious for clunking when dry.

3. As said above, a low refrigerant level will cause it to cycle constantly.

JDraper said:
1. Could be the MAF causing the rough idle if it's dirty. Also, when was the last time you changed plugs in the vehicle. Bad/worn/dirty plugs could also cause the problem.

2. U-Joints are a distinct possibility. Either that or the drive shaft slip joint could use some lubrication. They are notorious for clunking when dry.

3. As said above, a low refrigerant level will cause it to cycle constantly.

Thank you-

BTW- Your wife takes great pictures!

if your saying the a/c is cycling even when the a/c is turned off then its not because the charge is low, its because you probibly have a shorted control unit(knobs), also id clean the MAF, but you didn't say which engine it had in it but im assuming you have the 4.0 . if you have the 5.0 you wasted your money replacing the intake gaskets, but they do leak and cuase rough idle when its cold on the 4.0. also check the motor and trans mounts for the clunking, a u jopint would also make noise when accleration and would probibly cause a vibration.

It's just possible the a/c is cutting in at idle and killing the engine, since it is cutting in unexpectedly. The idle air control valve usually compensates for that, but that may not happen if you have a/c kicking in when it should not.

You can unplug the a/c clutch - if that is the problem it will stop it from killing the engine until you can fix the a/c problem.

with the a/c you never said in what mode you have the selector switch in ie.(a/c, max a/c, heat , defrost) if you dont have the a/c on and have it on either defrost cycle the a/c compressor will cycle on and off occasionally this is what is supposed to do it keeps the compressor seals lubed when the a/c is not in use (back in the day the dealers told you to turn the a/c on once a moth in the winter to prvent the seals from drying out and causing the compessor to leak now you dont have to do this) if it is doing this with the a/c on then you probably have a low charge in the system. as far as your clunk always check the simplest thing first like the ujoints the if thats not the problem start checking everything else that may be causing the problem. with the rough idleit could be a number of things both my 98' 5.0 and my 93' 4.0 did this and after checking and completing tune ups on both it still did it and honestly all I did to cure it after all that was to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for like 30 seconds reconnected it and took it out for a drive and bam nomore rough idle all that does is allows the computer to reset the factory settings this may work it may not but what the hell it only costs you time right! good luck

BigDadys93x, that is d**n hard to read!!! Try some punctuation and syntax....... :p :confused:

Fordowner said:
1. Any thoughts on what else might be causing my car to gurgle and die occasionally while idling ?

I am also hearing a clunking sound when I am driving 50-65 mph and let off the gas. It does not make the sound every time and sometimes it is louder.

3. What might be causing the clunking sound? I thought maybe my U joints as they have not been replaced. Anything else it could be ?

And lastly, my AC compressor clutch engages all the time - I hate hearing it going on and off all the time- What makes it worse is I have bad hearing and can still hear it-

4. Is it normal for the AC compressor to kick on and off all the time? If not whats the solution?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me.

Art

Just thought you might wanna know that you went from 1 directly to 3, and left out 2. Didn't look like anybody else caught it so I just wanted to make sure you could count right. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend workin on your truck.

JDraper said:
BigDadys93x, that is d**n hard to read!!! Try some punctuation and syntax....... :p :confused:

Sorry I thought this was a technical forum and not an english class! My mistake.

Hi my compressor quits after 15 to 20 minutes of operation and i also get the on of clutch operation (while on )my a/c is fully charged vent quits in full trottle,thaks for helping???

Back