30K Service on 2006+ V8 Trucks?

ChrisV8

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V8
Hello all,

I just hit 30,000 miles on my 2006 V8 AWD Mountaineer, and was wondering what kind of service would need to be performed on it. Looking at the manual, it seems like basic oil change, inspection of brakes/hoses, checking/lubrication of suspension components, etc.

My main concern is with the transmission and coolant flushes. The manual doesn't really specify if this needs to be done. It just states that cars equipped with the Torqshift and 4R100 transmissions will need to have the fluid changed. I know that I have one of the new 6 speed autos, but I'm not sure of the service on these new transmissions or if they need special service or fluid changes.

When I called my local Lincoln/Mercury dealer, I asked them what was involved and he said "It's a big job, we'll have to do a coolant and tranny flush and everything." And I got quoted a price of $560.

I'm totally new to this generation of Mountaineer (bought the truck last month). My last Explorer (97 V8) had its transmission fluid changed at 100K. I don't want to be paying for extra work, but also want to keep the car in good running order.

Could you guys please advise me?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

I paid $100 for a trans flush at my local dealer. I feel doing the trans every 30k is a good preventative measure. I would second guess the coolant, the new long life coolants should be good for 5+ years or 100k.

Trans flush and fuel filter is what i did.

I just did the fuel filter and had a radiator leak so they replaced the radiator and thermostats housing etc and gave me a new battery. My service advisor said not to worry about the tranny fluid till 60,000 since it is a sealed system.

Back