33"s and horsepower loss plus performance? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

33"s and horsepower loss plus performance?

Wondering about putting 33x12.5 on my 1993 xplorer, I have a 3inch body and the shackle and coil thing. Will the 33's really decrease the power even if I upgrade the exhaust and put a KKM on it? About the performance off-road, are the stock gears really, really bad with the 33's because not in the budget for that,(yet). Thanks for the help fellas.
EBexplorer

The KKM and the exhaust will help with the power, but nothing will do better then re-gearing it. I've got 36x12.50 Swamps on mine and I drove around for about a month before I got sick of getting 10 mpg and my clutch failing alot. I went with a 4.56 ratio for my application, but when you can re-gear it I'd go with 4.10s. Welcome to the site!!!

Hi!
Where did you find your 4.56 gears at? I'm in pricing mode right now.

Thanks for any help.
Jim

I got my rear-end from 4wheelparts.com and I just went to a 4x4 shop and ordered the fronts from them cause I couldn't find 4.56 ratio for the IFS 35 on the net. I'm not to sure what the prices were but they had everything on sell when I purchased.

Back