$330 For Fuel Pump Change

etc

Dead Inside
Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 2WD
Fuel Pump just died on me last night. Saw it costs $210 or so at rock auto. Mechanic is gonna charge $330 to change the pump/filter. I'd try to do it myself, but I got tons of work to do. =\ Decent price? I just put a full tank in there too. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I paid a little more than that to replace the pump & sending unit...i think you're ok. They chargin' you for the time to remove/refill the tank? I think i paid $380 or so total

etc said:
Fuel Pump just died on me last night. Saw it costs $210 or so at rock auto. Mechanic is gonna charge $330 to change the pump/filter. I'd try to do it myself, but I got tons of work to do. =\ Decent price? I just put a full tank in there too. :(

Were are U Located??? If it sounds Good to U and fits into your Budget, Then It is OK, For Me, I'll do it my self..

on a 96 XLT you are looking at about 2 hours of labor, that is if I was to do the job with jack stands in my barn. Full tank of gas makes it more tricky, heavier tank.
You ahve to drop the tank, its not a huge ordeal but it does take a little bit of work.
If you are going to drop the tank you have two choices, you can simple swap out the pump or you can change out the entire pump and float/sending unit assembly.
On my 88 BII I swapped the entire assembly out because I was having fuel gage problems.

So you are paying $100 something for the pump assembly and 2 hours of labor. Shop rate in Denver right now is about $80 an hour, so thats a semi fair price, although I would pocket the extra $200 and do it myself :)

Yeah, the $330 covers the parts/labor/filter all that good stuff. I'm in Miami(florida) btw. He said it'd be Motorcrafts parts, so that's something, hehe. Just wanted to be at ease. Thanks fellas.

etc said:
Yeah, the $330 covers the parts/labor/filter all that good stuff. I'm in Miami(florida) btw. He said it'd be Motorcrafts parts, so that's something, hehe. Just wanted to be at ease. Thanks fellas.

Too Bad U are Not A Little closer.. I would Be More than Happy To Help ya out...

Got the truck back, he changed out the sender/floater/fuel gage thing, basically the whole assembly that drops in the gas tank. Thanks for the offer kevin. ;)

yeah $330 is about right for that.. i would do it myself however (well i actually did on my moms 96 a few months ago)

etc said:
Fuel Pump just died on me last night. :(

So did it just die plain and simple like that. Mine stopped working yesterday with out warning i was i parked the car and got back in and it would not start. checked the relays, reset switch, and fuses and nothing.

Yes, they just DIE - i had the same thing happen at a gas station (while i went in to just get coffee). Came out, started it (started right up) and then immediately died. Had to get it towed to my mech.

Well my truck had been towed(stupid apartment complex = / ). Then later that day, it took 3/4 tries to get it started. The all day before and after thatit started up fine. Before I headed home it took 3/4 tries to start. Heading home, stopped for some gas, that's where it didn't start again. Luckily I was a couple blocks from work and the mechanic. Had my sister pull me in her *cough integra *cough.

jimabena74 said:
yeah $330 is about right for that.. i would do it myself however (well i actually did on my moms 96 a few months ago)

can you or someone discribe how to take the tank out?

-AG

agallant said:
can you or someone discribe how to take the tank out?

-AG

Very Carfully ;) ;)

greetıngs from Istanbul >Turkey

To remove the explorer fuel tank ıs very straıghtforward

>>Fırst empty as much petrol as possıble
then remove the skıdplate (bolts)
then remove the bolts that retaın the fuel tank straps.
Fuel tank should be supported
now remove the fıller neck hose, and fuel lınes

ıts just that easy............

Dont use metal on metal tools when workıng wıth the tank, meanıng to loosen the ın tank assembly you should use a rubber mallet and wooden dowl.

Hope that helps!

Back