33x12.5x15 BFG All-Terrains on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

33x12.5x15 BFG All-Terrains on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's?

I've seen this very same combo used by a few people here on the board, and a number of other people with 33x12.5x15's on 15x8's, so it seems that this is an acceptable mounting size.

I went by Costco last night to get a set of 5 mounted to my new rims, and they looked at their little BFG tire booklet, which specifies a rim width of 8.5-11 inches, so Costco wouldn't mount them.

No exceptions, even if I tell them to NOT put them on the truck.

Has anyone ran into this before?

BFG has the same info printed here:

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs/all-terrain-t-a-ko/44.html
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs/mud-terrain-t-a-km/1152.html

What gives?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, the soft 8s come in various widths so maybe the ones you have seen were on wider rims.

A lot of places are picky when it comes to oversize tires, with lawsuits and whatnot.

well, the soft 8s come in various widths so maybe the ones you have seen were on wider rims.

Not trying to be a dick, but as my post stated, there's several people on this board with 33x12.5x15 BFG All-Terrains, running them on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's.

15x8 Soft 8's come in one width - 8".

I suppose I'll just buy the tires at Costco ($143.99/tire is a hell of a deal), and find someplace else to mount them, but it's just aggravating.

I'm curious if I'd be able to fit 15x10 wheels under the Explorer, and if I should return the 15x8's and get 15x10's

You can run 12.5s on 7" rims if you really want to... I'd say 8" is perfect, many many people run 12.5s on 8" wheels, 10" wheels are a too wide IMHO for 12.50s.

Not trying to be a dick, but as my post stated, there's several people on this board with 33x12.5x15 BFG All-Terrains, running them on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's.

15x8 Soft 8's come in one width - 8".

I suppose I'll just buy the tires at Costco ($143.99/tire is a hell of a deal), and find someplace else to mount them, but it's just aggravating.

I'm curious if I'd be able to fit 15x10 wheels under the Explorer, and if I should return the 15x8's and get 15x10's

sorry missed you saying you saw them on specifically the 15x8s...

I got my 33s BFG KMs at Costco and ran into the same delima. So I had another shop mount and balance them on my 8" rims.

what did it cost to have them mounted and balanced?

...Most shops only charge about $10 per tire for mount and balance..;)..Actually, they usually include unmounting the old tire for the same price..

That's good. I just need to get some good tires then....for cheap.

Prolly go with the 31" definity M/T since I won't be doing a body lift for a while. Just the shackle and coil seats.

Too bad you just missed the "BUY 3 Installed DEFINITY, HANKOOOK or COOPER TIRES, get the 4th TIRE FREE!", or at least that was the deal in Denver.

But...

*After mail-in rebate, when you purchase 4 installed tires. Must include tire installation package, which includes, valve stems, balancing and road hazard warranty. Tread design may vary.

Well, I got the tires yesterday.

$154.99/each is Costco's regular price for the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO, Mounted/Balanced.

I was going to try to get them to mount them to the wheels anyhow, just to see if the tech on duty "forgot" about the whole width nonsense, but they saw me take the wheels out of the Explorer.

Turns out that Costco is also ignorant and ****-retentive about Explorers due to the whole Firestone fiasco - nevermind that it was a Firestone problem, not an Explorer problem, and that Explorers have no greater frequency of rollovers than any other SUV. U-Haul is the same way (I've got to admit, it gave me no small amount of pleasure to see how pissy one of the local rental places was to see me return a trailer with my Explorer that I had my buddy pick up with his Cherokee...).

So, now the tires are $143.99/each, since they're not mounting/balancing.

Better deal - buy 4 Michelin/BF Goodrich tires, get $60 off until 6/29/08. Now four of the tires are $128.99/each.

5 tires, $659.95. Not a bad deal, and the best price I've been able to find anywhere else.

The part that miffs me, though, is Les Schwab. I was there on Thursday with my brother, dropping off his TL to get new rubber on it. Their little flyer advertises the tires my brother got for $188.97/each - and then they hit you for the balancing at $12.50/tire. I'm so sick of misleading advertisements like this.

I asked them about mounting/balancing the tires on the rims I got, and they said that the $12.50/tire would apply, plus $4.00/wheel valve stem.

Well, apparently there's also a $7.50/tire mount fee, as well that they failed to mention.

Now, it's only an extra $30, but come on - deceptive marketing, and inept customer service. There's a reason I don't buy tires at Schwab's anymore. :(

Anyhow, tires are mounted and balanced, and ready to install. The diffs were regeared a couple weeks ago, and the Superlift will be here this week! WOOHOO!

Now, if only gas would get cheaper than $3.99/gallon...

Back