• Register Today It's free!

351W engine Swap Questions 2008

vegasmax

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mountioneer
Have a 2008 and looking to swap in a 351W 408 engine.
My questions are on the wiring using a ford harness.
Question: What would work the best using stock harness?
I am looking at one out of a 2000 5.0V8 Explorer I know it will work, how much can I use from the 08 harness? It has a v6 in it now?
Next question is on the intake I want to use a better stock one, the 302 in 2000 had the GT 40 upper & lower...with the GT 40 upper bolt on the 1991 351 lower EFI intake? With or with out modifications?
Suggestions helpful anyone does this sway in to a Explorer or Ranger?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say it can be done, but will require custom work. Seeing as your 2008 was either a 4.0 or 4.6 you would have to find a way to make the 5.0 motor mounts work or make custom mounts. As far as the wiring you would need the 5.0 harness and have to graft it in to work with your existing wiring, or get a stand alone harness and cpu. The 5.0 gt40 upper wouldn't work with a factory 351 efi lower it's different, you would need a lower gt40 intake from a 5.8-351 / 93-95 ford lightning to work.

You are gong to need more--

no 351 had DIS, or a cam sensor. You will need to figure those out, then move on to crank sensor, throttle position sensor, maf sensor, IAT sensor-just to make it run with a explorer harness-PCM.

You will also need to work around the 2000 PATS system .

I'd scratch it all and go for a aftermarket PCM -fuel injection , transmission control system.

the pats system can be disabled, the key guy at my work said u can do it through the computer

Ummm first this is going in a 2008 what? Anything 02+ needs to be a modular motor swap, if not your working backwords. A 5.4 swap would be the easiest option.

like mentioned, you would need to figure out a way for the motor mounts, but tranny and probably the rest of it too. You would need a different ECU that's for the 351 or even one from a 302, and the wiring harness like mentioned. I thought about a motor swap but it would def be a 5.4. It would be way easier to do a modular 5.4 swap vs a pushrod 5.8 swap.

Back