3rd gen Explorer Blend Door Actuator Replacement | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen Explorer Blend Door Actuator Replacement

But the A/C won in the end

Fixed the actuator motor for the A/C to save the money and then ended up dropping $500 to get the A/C in the house serviced...between that and the $320 on 2 new rear tires on the explorer...the savings of doing it myself to fix the actuator is up in smoke...CANT WIN TO LOSE:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

03 explorer v8 - fixed blend door acuator

. the forum is awesome, last fall - i replaced the blend door acuator with help from you guys. every thing was great thru the winter.
. now a/c is not blowing cold. colder on the the pass side tho.
. is there a problem w/ the blend doors ?
. is this fixable w/out removing dash ?

>>>>>>>>>>
. the forum is awesome, last fall - i replaced the blend door acuator with help from you guys. every thing was great thru the winter.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Your AC problem sounds like a "air recirculation door" problem. It is located on top of your heater core box, which sits on top of your blower motor housing, and they are located behind your glove box. To fix this air recirculation door, the passenger side dashboard has to be un-screwed and pulled out a few feet to get at it. See the web link below for a description of this repair and photos of what needs to come apart. It is a big job. Also, in this web link, the part where they break out the housing and use foam sealant instead of the 2 rear screws to the blower housing can be done by removing the screws from what I was told in here. Check for more recent posts in here of the ways to do this repair.

http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog/2008/08/2003-ford-explorer-ac-not-cold-enough/

>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is a more recent repair post for the air recirculation door, check below:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=316624

Hi,

I have a 1998 ford explorer. It has manual controls. The mechanic said that the blend door is messed up. He dropped the glove box down and showed it to me. My question is are there any websites that would have instructions and pictures for this year and model? I will need a lot of help to attempt this myself lol.

And the hits just keep coming

Well the actuator works fine (knock on wood) , the new tires are running great, took the car from atlanta to port canaveral and darned if the front passenger side turn lens just fell off the car with bulb and socket..got to port canaveral and ordered a new part at a dealership $80 for the 3 items which wasnt that bad but soon as I left, the engine started knocking and when I came back they ran the computer diagnostic for $100 and said it needed all new spark plugs and wires and a fan clutch... Now that Im back in atlanta I ran over to auto zone, got the parts for $110 and cut the $hit out of my hands changing out the plugs and wires...anyone know how to replace the fan clutch? 2004 ford explorer exlt 2wd v-6, any help is greatly appreciated!

Hello,

I have been extensively searching and reviewing these posts and am not sure if my problem fits in here. I have luke warm air (during full A/C) blowing hard (when vents turned up to max) from my driver's side vent. The middle vents are a bit colder, and the passenger vent is perfect. My rear A/C is ice cold. Is this a recirc door problem? I recently pulled out my blend door actuator and opened up only to find normal looking teeth on the sprockets. Any thoughts?

Scott

Ok, My heat wasn't working and I heard the knocking under the dash so I bought the part and took the whole thing apart. The old one turned, but stopped and acted like it was failing so I went ahead and replaced it. Made sure it turned before I put it in. It was set to cold on putting it in and I checked it before putting the whole thing together. The heat worked great! But....a few hours after driving it I turned down the temp control and lost heat all the sudden. I tried to turn it back up and no heat. No clicking noise, but no heat. I was gone for about a week and when I got home my temp gauge started freaking out on my drive home. One second it would top out and the check gauge light would come on then it would drop to the normal operating temp. Any ideas?

Ok, My heat wasn't working and I heard the knocking under the dash so I bought the part and took the whole thing apart. The old one turned, but stopped and acted like it was failing so I went ahead and replaced it. Made sure it turned before I put it in. It was set to cold on putting it in and I checked it before putting the whole thing together. The heat worked great! But....a few hours after driving it I turned down the temp control and lost heat all the sudden. I tried to turn it back up and no heat. No clicking noise, but no heat. I was gone for about a week and when I got home my temp gauge started freaking out on my drive home. One second it would top out and the check gauge light would come on then it would drop to the normal operating temp. Any ideas?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If the new blend door actuator you installed failed again, you most likely would have heard the "clicking or clunking" sound again like you did with the original one. The new actuator should be fine. The blend door actuator has nothing to do with your engine coolant temp gauge. Sounds like you have a coolant issue going on and lost heat flow thru your heater core. Some of these Ex's have "heater core valves" that stop working and that will block coolant flow to the heater core. From the pics I have seen of them, they are connected to the heater core hoses infront of the passenger side fire wall in the engine compartment and run along the side of valve cover. You should be able to pull up some posts in here on that subject and repair. Use the search bar at the top of the web page, type in "heater core valves" or something to that effect. Also, make sure your engine coolant is full and you may have a temp gauge issue, check the wiring plug to the temp gauge. Should be in the area of the thermostat housing on motor.

Could someone pretty please with a cherry on top help me :)

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport.. I know certain ins and outs real well.. Then other ins and outs I know absolutely nothing.. I have attached some pictures..
---------------------------------

It does blow cold on heat and on air.. ( maybe my heater core is plugged? ) what hose's do I check and where at they located?

Im not sure how to tell if my heater core is working correctly. - im not sure which hoses go to it or which ones to be cold or hot?

I believe its my aucter door. maybe?

Im not sure where my door is located or even where to start taking apart the console at... too..

------------------------------------------

Thanks

IMG00164-20111120-1633.jpg

IMG00165-20111120-1633.jpg

IMG00166-20111120-1634.jpg

IMG00167-20111120-1634.jpg

IMG00168-20111120-1635.jpg

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport.. I know certain ins and outs real well.. Then other ins and outs I know absolutely nothing.. I have attached some pictures..

It does blow cold on heat and on air.. ( maybe my heater core is plugged? ) what hose's do I check and where at they located?

Im not sure how to tell if my heater core is working correctly. - im not sure which hoses go to it or which ones to be cold or hot?

Im not sure where my door is located or even where to start taking apart the console at... too..>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You are in the correct message post/topic for your problem. You just have to go to the 1st page and start there. You are looking for photos for the "Blend Door Actuator" repair. Do you hear a clunking or clicking noise coming from behind your dashboard when you switch the air temp to the hot side? If you do hear that noise, you have a bad blend door actuator. I'll save you some time, below is the repair post for the blend door actuator: You can give that "cherry" to "BigRondo" (LMAO) sorry BR, he took the time to write up the detailed post and take photos of his progress. Just follow his instructions and use your VIN number when ordering the new actuator from Ford, if this is your problem. Web link below:

Blend Door Actuator repair link below, give thanks and that "cherry" to "BigRondo" for the repair post! :D

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=294140

Im not sure where my door is located or even where to start taking apart the console at... too..>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You are in the correct message post/topic for your problem. You just have to go to the 1st page and start there. You are looking for photos for the "Blend Door Actuator" repair. Do you hear a clunking or clicking noise coming from behind your dashboard when you switch the air temp to the hot side? If you do hear that noise, you have a bad blend door actuator. I'll save you some time, below is the repair post for the blend door actuator: You can give that "cherry" to "BigRondo" (LMAO) sorry BR, he took the time to write up the detailed post and take photos of his progress. Just follow his instructions and use your VIN number when ordering the new actuator from Ford, if this is your problem. Web link below:

Blend Door Actuator repair link below, give thanks and that "cherry" to "BigRondo" for the repair post! :D

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=294140

When i went to that i got a 404
hahah

Soo After reading around.. The part i need to replace is right under my radio correct?

Is there any chance the sound could be something else? Also anyone have any blueprints on how to take apart the center console?

When i went to that i got a 404
hahah
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Not sure why that happened because the link worked fine before when I posted it to other people. Could be a problem in the forum, they've had server issues lately. Try the link below, I just copied it again right from the page it is posted on. It has the photos and instructions you need.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294140

After I posted the link above, I tested it, it worked.

Soo After reading around.. The part i need to replace is right under my radio correct?

Is there any chance the sound could be something else? Also anyone have any blueprints on how to take apart the center console?
>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, the blend door actuator is located down under the radio area behind the dashboard. It's closer the to the drivers foot well, to the left of the center dash area. If you remove the center console, you can look up under the dashboard edge and see it. Go to the new web link I sent you in the other post and you can see a picture of what it looks like. You have all the information you need now to do this repair. Just make sure you have all the symptoms of the bad blend door actuator before you buy the new part and replace it.

>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, the blend door actuator is located down under the radio area behind the dashboard. It's closer the to the drivers foot well, to the left of the center dash area. If you remove the center console, you can look up under the dashboard edge and see it. Go to the new web link I sent you in the other post and you can see a picture of what it looks like. You have all the information you need now to do this repair. Just make sure you have all the symptoms of the bad blend door actuator before you buy the new part and replace it.

Well I heard some click clacks but now im wondering if it something else.. I havent checked any hose's because i have no idea what to check.. And this seems like the most common problem... Plus It blows air strong on both... just very cold. thanks

Well I heard some click clacks but now im wondering if it something else.. I havent checked any hose's because i have no idea what to check.. And this seems like the most common problem... Plus It blows air strong on both... just very cold. thanks
>>>>>>>>>...

Forget the hoses, the hoses don't get blocked! Hoses will crack and leak if anything. If anything gets blocked it is the heater core itself or the radiator cores. Rad's and heater cores get blocked up from contaminants(scale/rust) in old anti-freeze left in the system way too long without a flush and change periodically.
If you can hear the repetitious "clicking sound" coming from behind the dash and get nothing but cold air coming out of the vents when selected to a hot temp setting, your "blend door actuator" is bad! That is your problem for loss of heat.
If your blower fan is still blowing out a strong flow of air thru the vents, then your "air recirculation door" is still working okay. The air recirculation door has nothing to do with temp heat control. The air recirc door when it goes bad, will block the blower fan air flow thru the dash vents. These are two different doors controlling two different things, but both are common problems on 3rd generation Explorers. Read that repair post from "BigRondo"!

ok.. I took the whole middle console out and.. no door was there... so i looked around more... And the one behind the glove box looks like its it. The picture is posted above. Its the whiteish color.. I guess this is the one.. the plug seems to match... looks like the same part.. Please please can anyone correct me or let me know a easy way to get to it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back