3rd Gen Limiting Straps install | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen Limiting Straps install

Does anyone have an idea of how much pounds of pressure is being put down from tire being on the ground to full droop?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone have an idea of how much pounds of pressure is being put down from tire being on the ground to full droop?

A lot, or a whole lot if you take into consideration the dynamic part of the suspension unloading quickly over a big bump. If you're worried about the strength of your mounting points and not welding them, just use grade 8 hardware the same size as the hole at the ends of the straps and that should work fine. Drill holes in the same general places I welded my mounting tabs.

I'm think of mounting the strap with a bolt directly to the lower control arm and using a 4in long 1/2in eye bolt, puting the strap through the eye part and the being able to adjust it by moving two nuts.

My only concern is the angular load on the eye bolt would break it. Plus the part where the upper mount is doesn't seem very thick, so even of the eye bolt were not to break, it could bend and angle the frame downwards. I'd make it so the eye bolt is is threaded as close to the "eye" , (so the strap doesn't have much leverage) and use large washers on both sides of the mount to add support.

But putting it into perspective I now see a whole lot of forced could be punched out going over a bump. I just like the idea of it being adjustable if the strap does stretch or what ever

It kinda coming down to just bolting the strap directly and accounting for maybe an inch of stretch? (12in strap)

Guess we'll find out here shortly

I'm think of mounting the strap with a bolt directly to the lower control arm and using a 4in long 1/2in eye bolt, puting the strap through the eye part and the being able to adjust it by moving two nuts.

My only concern is the angular load on the eye bolt would break it. Plus the part where the upper mount is doesn't seem very thick, so even of the eye bolt were not to break, it could bend and angle the frame downwards. I'd make it so the eye bolt is is threaded as close to the "eye" , (so the strap doesn't have much leverage) and use large washers on both sides of the mount to add support.

But putting it into perspective I now see a whole lot of forced could be punched out going over a bump. I just like the idea of it being adjustable if the strap does stretch or what ever

It kinda coming down to just bolting the strap directly and accounting for maybe an inch of stretch? (12in strap)

Guess we'll find out here shortly

Quadratec sells an an adjustable limit strap mount if anyone is interested! It probably wouldn't be to hard to fabricate a similar one as long as you're using the right grade materials. I might give it a try when I get around to putting mine in. http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Images/142338/142338-lg.jpg

Back