3rd gen questions - New member | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen questions - New member

Heinz A. Pedolzky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
Hi, I'm a new member with a 2005 Explorer XLT. Seems since I purchased it 12 month ago, I have had one issue after another, new engine, now new transmission (re-manufactured). Hopefully I'm now down to the 2 nagging small issues I have left,
1. tire pressure sensor indicator after purchasing new tires. Is there a way to reset the computer to turn it off?
2. after replacing the blend actuator for no heat, now the AC doesn't work, plenty of heat all the time.
I hope someone on here can point me into the right direction.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there a clicking noise when changing hot to cold ?? Or any noise at all? did the ac work after the engine install?

1. tire pressure sensor indicator after purchasing new tires. Is there a way to reset the computer to turn it off?

You can retrain the TPMS sensors in your driveway easily if you have a decent sized magnet. I use an old speaker magnet that I drilled a hole in large enough to fit over the valve stem.

The procedure is:

Turn the key from the off to on position three times rapidly, ending in the on position. Tap the brake pedal, and again cycle the key three times...ending in the on position. After the second cycle the horn will sound and the message center will display "train LF tire".

At this point set your magnet on the left front valve stem. When the magnet resets the reed switch the horn will sound and the display will change to "train RF tire". Repeat the procedure for all 4 tires. LF, RF, RR LR. and the TPMS is retrained.

If the horn doesn't sound within 30-40 seconds on any given tire it's likely the battery is dead on the sensor and will need to be replaced. If you skip that one and move on to the next tire you will know which sensor(s) are bad. Battery life on OE sensors is 8-10 years, so its likely you have at least one bad one.

Expect your local tire place to charge you roughly $80 each to install new sensors.

Back