• Register Today It's free!

4.0 OHV intake question

FHBasketball

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 SPORT
Hey guys. long time no see, and when i say a long time i mean like over 2 years. i sold my old '96 2wd explorer sport in april of 06, but had to come back to another explorer. i always regreted selling my old one and couldn't wait to get another one, and i finally did.

I have a white '97 sport 4x4 manual now, and I'm looking to boost the performance in it. I work at a Ford dealership, and I'm gettinga great deal on a flash tune from Sniper Tuners. My boss ran this tune through his 07 mustang gt and loves it so i figured i'd give it a shot.

Now for the question i have. I'm looking to get a CAI for the explorer just to make the tune that much more effective. I've been looking on ebay for one, just something basic that doesn't cost much. I came accross this one here-----> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-0...ryZ38634QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you notice in the post, it says THIS KIT IS NOT FOR VEHICLE WITH BODY LIFTS, AND IT ONLY FITS ON VEHICLE EQUIPPED WITH FA1658 FLAT PANEL FILTER. What would be the reasoning for this. I would think that if the intake comes with the tubing, the necessary hardware, and a new filter, that your stock iar filter set-up would not matter. Any help with this matter is greatly appreciated.

That's weird because the flat panel filter is on the SOHC, the OHV has a cone type but even still they have pictures of it assembled on a OHV It's just sitting WAY above where it should be....

so do you think it would work then. i can do some simple modifications to make it sit where it needs to be. i put an intake on the focus i had, and there was a whole lot of crap i had to do to make it fit right so that won't be a problem. i'm just wanting to know if there is a reason that it wouldn't fit.

It might be sitting that high because it's hung up the fan shroud which there isn't a whole lot you can do about that. I have a custom fan and intake on mine so I have no experience putting a cai into one with the belt driven fan...It very well could work but it might stop the hood from closing....

Back