4.0 ohv to 4.0 sohc?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 ohv to 4.0 sohc??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the amount of work it'd take to swap in a sohc you could a v8. Engine, harness, tranny, x-fer case etc etc

Sorda

I agree a little bit :) I too vote for the 5.0L V8, However yes you can put a SOHC in place of an OHV, easier then many people might think. It is even possible to run it with the OHV wiring harness and computer :) HOWEVER the transmission will explode, just a matter of time.

So why go through the trouble if you dont also upgrade the trans, then if you are going to do that, mine as well go V8.

Best way to do this would be to purchase the entire SOHC donor vehicle and swap everything.

I have a friend, he has a 03 Ranger Edge SOHC drivetrain, 5 speed and BW T case, complate from ac condensor to driveshafts (Yes hes a maniac, he never even discharged the AC!! hahaha) this drivetrain has like 3000 miles on it before the ranger was T boned. My friend picked the truck up at auction for el cheapo, cut it in half and took out the guts. We are putting this into his 93 Sport, as I described above, retaining the 93's original computer and wiring. Plan to do the swap in a weekend.

IMO this is the ONLY way to go! You need the entire donor! Otherwise you will be piecing it together and spending $$$ like crazy.

This will be a wicked truck when its done, problem is there are about 4 other projects ahead of it.

MY only issue with the OHC 4.0L is the amount of plastic and timing chains used....I'll stick with the pushrod 5.0L for that amount of work and $$$. the SOHC is a *****in powerplant however, rev happy and power to redline

410Fortune said:
IMO this is the ONLY way to go! You need the entire donor! Otherwise you will be piecing it together and spending $$$ like crazy.

Couldn't agree more. Otherwise you'll be on an endless wild goose chase looking for parts.

HP means little, Torque means LOTS.
the OHV 4.0L makes good torque, and can make alot more with some $$$$ thrown at it.

The SOHC makes ALOT of power :) Most people (dont do the work themselves) are better off selling it and buying one with the SOHC or 5.0L already in it.

i dont mind getting down and dirty, ive done alot of engine swaps for imports for race purposes so i have the basic idea. so what are the best mods for the 4.0 ohv for good power and torque??

Subscribe
Derbytown

Get it to breathe

The more air you pump through it the more power you will make.

Dollar for dollar, gears and camshaft are likely the best bang for the buck with the OHV. The stock cam is really doggy.

To make real power fromthe OHV the heads need some work.
intake and exhaust mods are great, I like a 2.25" single exhaust because you will retain some of the bottom end you lose when you open up the intake, etc.

then a chip.

There are alot of little things you can do, like 180 thermo (depending on your climate), remove the stock intake restrictions, keep it cool, adjust your TPS, good plugs/wires

I was always more then happy with the power of the OHV, especially in my BII (slightly lighter then your Explorer :) It responds really well to the basic air pupmp theory.

A volant or mac intake and a custom tuned chip by Bama Chips. Do a search ;)

whick truck are you asking about?

:p

details help, so does the Search button.

My vote: Custom built cold air fed intake with K&N or KKM filter
The programmer depends on if your truck is OBD-I or II, 5 speed or auto, and what you plan to do with it.
There is a difference between a chip and a programmer/interface. there is also different kinds of chips, flip chips, multi program chips, etc.

My vote when it comes time for a chip = dyno session with a tuner capable of flashing your PCM..

:p

Back