• Register Today It's free!

4.0 or 4.6???

Full Force

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Mountaineer Premier
I am looking at replacing my stolen Explorer, had 03 with 4.6, I am a 8 cyl kind of guy...

Alot of nice trucks I am finding ahve the 4.0.. looking at 06 up...for the most part... any issues with 4.0 I should look for? my 92 and 94 were the old 4.0, never had issues besides slow.....

I have my diesel for towing but like the pep of the 4.6...

I can save some cash buying a 4.0 but don't want to regret it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well the newer 4.0ls have much more pep then the first gens and are easy to add parts for more power one thingi no to look for is coolant. make sure its clean no dirt or oil. also drive it make sure trans shifts the way it should and that all options work (4x4 and all switches) and just basically use good judgment but yes i have a 99 with the 4.0 and i can keep up with a 4.6 usually

It's very difficult to find a new V8 also. On paper, it's a no-brainer. V8 gets better mileage, much more power. On paper, there's really no reason for the 4.0. I beleive they are mainly using 4.0 to use up the parts. I have owned and driven all. Back in '97, the SOHC was really nice when mated to 4:10 gears on a 2-dr Sport. That was comparing to the old 160 HP pushrod. When the 4.6 3V came out, there's no comparison IMO. If the 4.0 got 3-4 MPG better than 4.6, it would make the decision more tough.

I was facing this same thing about a month ago. I sware there is only 1 V8 for every 100 V6s you can find on autotrader and ebay and such. I had to settle for the 6 cylinder and I am not disappointed by it's power, it certainly could keep up with my old 5.0 v8 but I would much much much have rather stepped up to the new style v8.

If you can find a v8 close with a reasonable price, then certainly go for it, but if you have to settle for the v6, well it wont be hard to live with. It's a very smooth shifting and pretty powerful, and sounds silent when idling.

Thanks guys, I am also looking at Expeditions too for the extra room, I drove a 08 Eddie Bauer today LOADED... I loved it, I have had 4 Explorers and sometimes the extra room would be nice, I like the 5.4 also..

If I stay with Explorer, I will prob just get a 4.6 anyway, I am really a v-8 kind of person, the more power the better! Thats why I drive a powerstroke!! I wish she would drive a diesel Excursion!!!

So true. I'll probably have to settle for a 4.0 also. It's no slouch. It's OK with the 3:73 gears. My Dad's '02 had 3:31 (IIRC?).

When I bought my SPort Trac in '08, the closest one they could find was over 250 mi out. That was OK with me.

I traded the V8 for a V6, the really stupid spark plug design with them sticking and breaking and the problems with the variable cam timing of the 3v engines were my reasons. Never looked back, honestly.

I barely ever have to haul things, and just for the family trips (even loaded to the top of the trunk) it never feels like it can´t handle it. Plenty of power for my needs. Performs well enough, even on the autobahn. A bit louder compared to the V8, but I like the way it sounds.

Also I like the fact that the "old" cologne engine has been around for so long now and gave proof of its durability. Also the early bugs of the 5speed should be taken care of since the 05/06 model change.

If a V-8 is what you really want, then the 3 valve with the 6spd auto will be music to your ears.

Not the most fuel efficient, but the power of this combo speaks for itself.

Buy what you want!!! I had a choice of a blue V8 and a white V6 drove the V8 first.
I punched that thing and the first thing that came out of my mouth was WTF!
My 98 Grand Marquis would kill this! My wife liked the white one so we bought it.
The V6 did not seem all that much slower than the V8.

I got the V8 to tow a boat but Z06 is right, their is not a whole lot of differance between the two. In my job I have driven both several times and i can tell the difference but I have the 3v and it seems to be much better than the 2v.

I have an

07 Ex 2wd 4.6L 6spd Ironman Edition and I love it. Best Ford I have ever owned. The engine is very torqy but the transmission is the weak key. Jet Performance makes a few things too maximize the tranny and engine.

same here 4.6 V8 and 3:73 gearing really makes this suv fun to drive. I had to search hard to find a limited 4x4 with the 4.6 but I am glad I did ..

oz is that ex fast? sounds like it should be pretty quick =p

I know in the 03 the 4.6 was way better then the 4.0, I had the 4.6

If I go with another Explorer I want a 06 or newer, mainly wondered if the newer 4.0 was any better..

4.0L is bulletproof, in my experience

I've had two Explorers with the 4.0L V6 and 5-speed automatic and never had any problems. The first was an '05 XLT 4x4 and my sister owns it now- just over 160k miles with just basic maintenance. I have an '07 Eddie Bauer 4x2 now with 118k miles and it runs (and shifts) good as new!
I was surprised by how much quicker the '07 felt compared to the '05! The weight was almost the same, even moving from 4x4 to 4x2 (the '06 redesign + all the Eddie Bauer 'stuff' negated any weight loss). But my '05 had the standard 3.55 axle ratio, but my '07 has the Towing Package with the 3.73 ratio. The 5-speed A/T was revised (at least the shift logic) for the new '06 model and I can definitely tell a difference.

In my '05, even when I floored it, there was an annoying delay waiting for it to kickdown to a lower gear. When it finally did kick down, it was usually a harsh double downshift from 5th to 3rd. In the '07, half-throttle is all it takes to get an almost instantaneous shift to 4th and a little more pressure on the pedal gets 3rd just as quick.

If you're looking at '06 or newer models, I'd suggest spending some time behind the wheel of a 4.0L before making a decision. If you can find one with the 3.73 axle ratio, even better...although I'd be wary of buying one that's been used heavily as a tow vehicle....

Yepper

oz is that ex fast? sounds like it should be pretty quick =p

It is pretty quick as long as you shift manually through the gears. Eventually I am going to go through either Kenne Bell or Brenspeed to supercharge it.

sweet just keep us updated

I had a very hard time finding a V8, but I found one, and I love it. To be honest I haven't driven a 4.0L Explorer, but I did drive a Ranger with one.

All things equal go for the V8.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hands down, go with the 4.6L. It's a better engine without a doubt. Harder to find because it doesn't suck.

Back