• Register Today It's free!

Need Advice: 3rd vs 4th Gen Ex

MSPexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Minnie
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4.0
Hi, I currently own a 2004 XLT 4.0 and am relatively happy with it. Aside from the typical maintenance, I've only had one major expense (new trans at 90k). With 130k on the clock, I'm in the market for new one. I don't do any hard core off-roading, but will ride easy trails from time to time. Its main use it a commuter (that looks good!). Here's what I'm looking at:

03 XLT 4.0 with 46k. Looks very clean, love the 'look' of the 3rd gen's.

07 XLT Ironman 4.6 with 70k. Good looking ride as well, esp the fender flares.

From a mechanical standpoint, which vehicle would I be better off with? The 4th Gen's don't seem to have the transmission issues that some of the 3rd's have (from what I've read, could be wrong). Are there any other known issues with either the 3rd or 4th gen's that I should be looking for?

Thanks! Nick

The tranny on the 4.0 v6 is same in those years, and they do not seem to last that long. The tranny behind 4.6 from 06 up is a 6 speed 6r type that is very reliable (besides some kicking issues sometimes). I have over 173k miles on mine. Since it is an 07 v8, you'll have some headaches replacing the sparkplugs the firs time, otherwise, the Ironman is much better choice.
To replace the rear bearings is much easier on 4th than on 3rd generation. Also, you do not have the cracking window part on the rear lift ate.

Thanks Explorer_PL. That's good enough for me. I'd expect spending some money on routine stuff, just want to avoid the high $ fixes.

Back