4.0 primary chain guide tab | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 primary chain guide tab

Sprocket1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XL Autotrac
Just an update on information I found out about the oil pressure going to the left front hydraulic tensioner. I had replaced the primary chain tensioner and chain guide a couple of weeks ago. At the time I had some trouble removing the guide and broke off the tab/tit that goes into the block. I didn't notice if it fell out on the floor or where it went. I then installed the new guide and completed the rest of the repair. Upon start up I found that there was no oil going up to the front tensioner. Front left chain rattled bad. After studying the situation and a week or so later I was convinced the oil galley was blocked. I then removed the new primary chian guide and carefully drilled out the old plastic tab. I then was able to blow compressed air up to and down from the tensioner oil galley. (I removed the long plastic check valve just to do this.) I put it all back together yesterday and it runs perfect! No rattling at all! I was alot longer getting it back running due to the fact I broke the old guide and didn't realize what I had done. So be careful removing that primary guide if you are replacing them. Just passing along what I found out. Thanks to all that helped out with suggestions along the way! And for the great tutorial on the chains in a 4.0 sohc. THANKS!!

Back