4.0 sohc to 4.6 sohc swap

tootall2

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forums. I was considering swapping my 4.0 to the 4.6 V8. Has anyone done that yet? Does the 4.6 use a different tranny and T-case than the 4.0? Is there alot of fabrication involved, or will it bolt right up? (exhaust, engine mounts, tranny mounts, driveshafts). I have an 01 Sport. Would it be possible to make it pass emissions? What about the wirring, would I have to get the entire harness from the donor vehicle the 4.6 came from?

Thanks for any replies!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 5.0 barely fits in there. This is DOHC motor, but the SOHC motor is similarly big.

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 809

Oh yes, and welcome! What part of PA are you from?

Thanks for the pics IAmTodd. I'm from Westmoreland county.

tootall2 said:
Thanks for the pics IAmTodd. I'm from Westmoreland county.
My too !

Born and raised in Greensburg.

GO STEELERS! :thumbsup:

IAmTodd said:
The 5.0 barely fits in there. This is DOHC motor, but the SOHC motor is similarly big.
The SOHC isn't nearly as wide as the DOHC.

Ford puts the 4.6 in newer (01+ ??) already, so it can be done. :thumbsup:

Katmandu said:
The SOHC isn't nearly as wide as the DOHC.

Ford puts the 4.6 in newer (01+ ??) already, so it can be done. :thumbsup:

Sorry, beg to differ, the 4.6 V8 is much wider than the 302, either of them. Run some searches on the Ranger forum, RPS. There is someone who has a 4.6 in a picture, in a Ranger. From what I have heard, it would eliminate the A/C, and the steering shaft wouldn't fit.

The 4.6 V8 is installed only in 3rd gen. Explorers. All of the 2002+ Sport/Sport Trac Explorers are 2nd gen. chassis, and don't come with a V8. Good luck,

Back