• Register Today It's free!

4.0 swap wire ?

pangborn83

Reaction score
City, State
western, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 Bronco II
probally really simple but I have been working on a 4.0 swap into a 87 Bronco II the 4.0 is out of a 91 ranger. I have evtms for both and am at a point where everything is wired except for a couple of wires that relate to the clutch switch. The ranger had a tripple function switch, with 5 wires two pink, one brown, one green and one grey/ red the truck was a non cruise control (believe there would be 6 to make cruise work two greens instead of one) the issue I am having is that I intended to use the switch off the 87 which has 4 wires a black, black white, two greens. Is this possible or do I need to use the tripple function switch. The tripple function switch pink comes from ignition switch to tripple function switch, other pink through bulkhead connector and turns into Red L blue to starter relay (allows 12v when clutch pedal pressed). Green went through bulk head to S209 and is feed 12 volt by fuse 4 15amp (I will skip the details as it has no flow through any other wires on this switch basically deadends and I like a bigdummy already wired engine bay side into the 87 wires) Brown went through bulkhead and turned L Blue/ Yellow goes into nuetral sensing switch. Grey red appears to go to S150 which continues grey and red to everything it is tied into (back to nuetral sensing switch + more) Can I just splice into a set of the wires on the 87 switch that show continuity when the pedal is pressed or would it be in my better interest to rewire the 87 switches wire into the tripple function off the ranger as the two pink and the green are comperable to the four in the 87 just the 87 does not have a place for the Lblue Yellow? Sorry it is long winded and without diagrams (I will try to scan both evtms and see if I can get them up) but I am thinking I will need to use the wiring from the 87 with the 91 tripple function switch and I really did not want to do that as I scrapped the 91 pedal assembly and the tripple function switch looks like it is going to be very close to the pedal when pressed making me think that the pedal assemblys might have been a little different? Thanks in advance, James

My mistake the bronco has black/white and white/black and they are routed to the nuetral sensing switch, with a white black from ECA (30) to C177 a white black to the EFI clutch and one to Nuetral sensing switch, black and white from Nuetral sensing switch to s127 appearing to be a common ground

Back