• Register Today It's free!

4.0 swaps if different year model

Manicmechanic

Reaction score
City, State
Clearwater SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer
I have a 95 Eddie Bauer 4x4 low miles .I also have a 2000 Eddie Bauer with 300k and cracked heads and head gasket. Is the 95 a direct bolt in for the 2000? Both are 4.0 SOHC. Would I be required to change computer/ECM? I know intake manifolds look different. I'm an old school mechanic so I knew all the Ford engine swaps until MPFI and OBD 2 ,3,4 came along.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Define direct

I put a SOHC from a 2012 Ranger in mine. Same long block. I swapped a lot of stuff over from my Explorer engine (valve covers, injectors/rail, intake, exhaust manifolds, wire harness, computer, etc) and it bolted right up. No balance shaft on the ranger motor, and I left the Ranger oil pan.

I recommend going with a late model SOHC bc the cam chain parts are updated.

If you have a 95 you have the OHV, not the SOHC (Introduced in '97). Putting a OHV in place of a SOHC can work, but because of how many changes occurred betweeen those MY's its not going to be easy. You can't use the computer out of the 95 as it is OBD1.5 not OBD2 plus there is no provision for PATS. Fuel rails are different as the 99-up has one fuel line, not two. Engine harness from the SOHC may work. Technically the SOHC computer can run the OHV (It has been done), but you may be better off just rebuilding the SOHC.

Great info. Thanks. also have a 2002 explorer sport. Would that engine be a better swap for the 2000 Eddie Bauer

Great info. Thanks. also have a 2002 explorer sport. Would that engine be a better swap for the 2000 Eddie Bauer
Yes. All you would need is the engine. Everything else should work fine.

You can do anything with a little patience and time. I swapped a '00 SOHC into a '91. Or course I used the entire wiring harness, HVAC, gas tank and trans ....well actually the trans came from a '05 Ranger. And I went from Manual to Auto.

A complete donor makes all the difference.

Yes I do have a complete donor. Daily driver until last week I was in a bad storm and hit a guardrail with front wheel shoved the tie rod so hard that it broke the rack and pinion housing. It's still drivable but leaks fluids like a faucet. Anyone out there that can give me some tips on changing rack and pinion

Sure thing I replaced the R&P in my 96 years ago on this forum

Replacing the rack and pinion in the 5.0L is a lot more difficult than the 4.0 liter, still need to drop the diff and it will be tight, but you won't be cursing your existence as much. And if you are changing the engines out it's REALLY easy.

I did not have to drop any diff
my 96 was 5.0
See link for install of new rack

FSM has you loosen the motor mounts and lift the engine ever so slightly on the 5.0L

Back