4.0L Swap with a 5.0L in a 98 Sport.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L Swap with a 5.0L in a 98 Sport....

do a search- Troll did not use 94-95 he used a 88-93 computer and accessories. you are correct, he started out with the explorer setup but changed over to mustang to use the Vortech and to get the computer to rev as high as his motor would. so yes, the 88-93 stang engine will fit. last time i heard, he is making 585 RWHP without the little shot of nitrous.

tmsoko- i think you are taking me the wrong way. i know that the explorer engine is basically the same as the mustang. im not reccommending that someone with a stock V8 X run out and swap in a mustang engine. all i am saying is if your gonna do an engine swap, might as well swap in one that allows for a cheaper charger and more/easier timing control. obviosly you like to have your computer control timing, i however do not. the explorer Powerdyne street BD11 kit sells for around $3000. Vortech sells the S trim kit for the same price, and it can run much more boost. or, you could get the Vortech SC-trim (little street charger like the BD-11) for around $1700 for the whole kit. basically, you could get however much hp you want out of either the stang setup or the explo setup, i just think it would be easier to start with a stang setup.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow 585rwhp. Pretty impressive for an X. You have any idea what his times are?

Just curious.....

Anyway, i think i'll go with the stang engine. Now questions are what transfer case do i need, how do i hook up the electronics and last but not least where can i buy this engine???

Online......Junkyard???

As long as it works somewhat because i'll be tearing it apart anyway.

Troll is running 11's, but that's with him lifting before teh end so the track wouldn't kick him out. They told him to stop anyway.

Originally posted by DocVijay
Troll is running 11's, but that's with him lifting before teh end so the track wouldn't kick him out. They told him to stop anyway.
him not having a roll cage is also what really pissed off the track officials.

Once they go back, their doing a little more work, I'll run up to Morroso to watch them:D , tracks only about an hour or two away - depending on how fast you drive;)

Also those times were achieved without NOS, using NOS he'll easily be in the 10's. -kick ass-

Well the reason the lack of a roll cage pisse them off is becus ehe was running in the 11's. Rules say that once you get that fast, you gotta have a cage.

Can't imagine doing 10 seconds in the 1/4 in an Explorer. That is just wild!

Well the reason the lack of a roll cage pisse them off is becus ehe was running in the 11's. Rules say that once you get that fast, you gotta have a cage.

Can't imagine doing 10 seconds in the 1/4 in an Explorer. That is just wild!
I know, duh:D , same thing happened to my moms friend with the his Ruf Porsche, the officials banned him like they did Troll.

He has ran it at 9's and 10's at other tracks when he travels though, about 700rwhp but it's awd so 700awdhp? And yeh, the others kicked him off too:confused: He has a cage now, b/c they wouldn't let him track it w/o one.

It's more setup for top speed and tracking it, but it accelerates like a mutha, so much torque thats you can barely breathe at full throttle. It's his daily driver which is nutz, car is reliable as hell, no problems in 2yrs of having it.

Yep, Alois Ruf sure knows how to build them. I think it's pretty cool that he modifies them so much they are actually registered as a RUF, not as a Porsche. Yet they still look pretty tame for what they can do.

Yep, Alois Ruf sure knows how to build them. I think it's pretty cool that he modifies them so much they are actually registered as a RUF, not as a Porsche. Yet they still look pretty tame for what they can do.
you are cool as hell, I think your the first 1st person I have ever talked to who knows who Alois Ruf is besides my mom's friend. Most people just know that theres a Ruf porsche (some that own Porsche's don't know what Ruf is and that blows my mind) and thats it - some are even stupid enough to think it's like a kit car.
You are cool as hell bro!

And yes it definitley looks tame, only thing that gives his away is the custom Ruf wheels and "Ruf Turbo" lettering on the back. Besides the normal body modifications that you have to know a Ruf to be able to distinguish them and thats about it. It manages to be extremely comfortable for everyday driving while being able to blow away every car on the road.

Proves that Porsche's are the only exotic car's that can be driven daily and be able to hold serious mods reliably. The fact that this is his daily driver is whats mad cool, and not one time has it been to the shop for a problem in 2yrs of ownership. And he drives the absolute piss out of it. Try doing that to a Ferrari or Lamborghini and see what kind of maintenance and problems you'll end up running into.

Again - you are the man for knowing who Alois is, I also like TechArt and Gemballa and Strosek, but non of them come close to Alois's creations.

:D

Well thank you. I try.

Yes, with the exception of some Gambellas, all the others are still Porsches with a body kit. I know that some of the earlier Gambella creations (early 80's) were pretty bad a$$ and also got to be called "Gambellas" instead of Porsches.

TechArt makes some serious Porsches also. They are also quite streetable as a daily driver. You're right though. And as far as I know, Dinan BMW's are the only other modded cars that come with a warranty. OF course only a few Dinans can even think of comparing with RUFs. There was one BMW 850 down where you live somewhere (many years ago) that was a twin turbo. Competely stock outside except for wheels, and about 800 hp from the force-fed V12. Pretty nice. And a warranty.

yeh, some of those Dinans are nice, but the Dinan mods are expensive, but the Ruf's aren't exactly cheap either so...:D A dinan supercharger is around 20,000 or more.

There was a kid at my school last year who roomed with a friend of mine, he had a Dinan M3 (the last gen, I think it's the E36 model right?), I don't know what exactly he had done, but the car was very fast, and his was one of the first M3's that I heard that didn't develop that diesel/marble sound that occured on almost every M3. He was the one in another thread I was talking about who that kid in a Civic stole his Dinan tag and stuck it on his car, pathetic:mad:

Techarts versions are pretty nice, I like the Gemballa body kits - there pretty sweet but flashy. Ruf's are just the ultimate sleeper b/c they look like a stock Turbo which is sick fast in it's own...Stroseks look good, but a little funky to me.

Did you see the Dinan M5, I think it was in Car and Driver a month or two ago, very nice...and pricey;) .

Yeah, I saw it. That guy with the twin turbo 850 spent about $120,000 in mods alone, on top of the $120,000 for the car itself. But man it was sweet. Sleeper to the extreme.

Well, we seem to have gotten off topic a bit. Anyhow, asssuming the engine isn't the issue, what is the weak point on doing a monster engine swap into a Sport. And it's not the tranny either, as that would have to be swapped along with the engine. What else should be taken into consideration with this type of swap. Withthe tosion bar suspension on the later model Sports, how could one counter the added weight of the new engine. Would you have to completely swap out the suspension for a coil-over type? What otehr suspension options would there be, if any?

there is a two year old techart "boxster" for sale about 400 miles north of us in canada. My mom is in the market for a new car (she's thinking boxster S, M3, or 330xi) and i'm trying to talk her into going and looking at it. I guess it has close to 400 hp and a massively widened rear end etc. etc. and its still cheaper than a new boxster S and it only has 16,000 on it.

I think the Boxster (even the S) is kinda weak as is. That car is just asking for a hp boost. The S drives great and has plenty of go, but it's still 0-60 in the high 5's (depending on conditions/driver). My brothers Impreza will soon be doing 0-60 in about 4.3 seconds, so it'd be a shame for the Boxster to be so "slow."

And since we're talking about German tuners, we can't forget about Brabus and RennTech (in Longwood, FL). Brabus has hte worlds fastest station wagon. It has a 7.3 L V12 in it and topped out at about 212 mph. They stopped there as the tires weren't rated to go that high. The wagon still had some go left too. Crazy. Soccer mom? No way. Not unless you're Michael Schumacher's wife. That and the $240,000 price tag.

Actually my brother may not mod his Impreza any more. He's on the waiting list for the upcoming STi version, so he may just hold off till then. Check out his dealer, Mastro Subaru in Tampa, they are building a monster WRX.

http://mastrowrx.com/monster.htm

They are a great dealership. They get parts from all kinds of places. It's one dealership that actually likes modded cars. My brother just cracked one of his headers, and they got him some sweet parts from Australia.

off topic still but...:D - DocVjay - to show how sick my school theres a Brabus CL600, RennTec E430 and a Lorinser E430 and these are kids cars, how crazy is that.

Also expo5.0 - did you see Alecs and my post about the exhaust for your brothers escape, hope that helps. I haven't seen a Techart Boxster, but I have seen a
Ruf 3200 Boxster that was pretty sweet and sounded incredible.

Back on topic:D - DocVjay, I wouldn't think you'd need any mods suspensions wise to drop in a 5.0 in a Sport, I thought they had basically the same front set-up as 4drs, right? I know the later Sports used two-stage leafs, but I think that was the only change.

Would be pretty sweet to see a Supercharged 5.0 in a Sport, power to weight ratio would be very nice:eek:

I would imagine that some sort of suspension mod would be necessary. I don't think the Sport ever came with a 5.0, so it wasn't designed to deal with the extra weight. I don't know exactly how much more the 5.0 weighs over the 4.0 (or even the 4.0 OHV vs. the SOHC weight). It could be something as simple as switching to the stiffer torsion bars (B) if you didn't have them, and then just cranking them up a bit to even it back out. I don't hink the 5.0 weighs that muchmore, but if you were to have other things like a brush guard and/or winch, lights, etc., that all adds up. Then again, maybe not enough to matter.

all you would have to do with suspension would be this:

1- leave it alone, and lower the back to level it.

2- do a torsion twist to raise it back up level with the rear.

3- get the B code torsion bars, and adjust till its level.

if your gonna run a supercharged 5 liter in a sport, its prolly not gonna be an "offroader". therefore, i would just leave it lowered and lower the rear to match. the suspensions are not different, only the torsion bar rating is different. you will not have to beef up anything.

Originally posted by james t
if your gonna run a supercharged 5 liter in a sport, its prolly not gonna be an "offroader". therefore, i would just leave it lowered and lower the rear to match. the suspensions are not different, only the torsion bar rating is different. you will not have to beef up anything.

Why not. I would think it would be even more fun to smoke a Honda with a lift and some 35's. Heh, just imagine doing a burnout with some Swampers... :eek: That would be seriously nuts.

When I replace the X (well, not replace, just get a new vehicle), I'm going to raise it even more and give it more power. I'll be the first to have an off-roading supercharged 5.0 Sport.

The way I see it, you could easily smoke a ricer, and then run over his car. :D

Two more additions to this thread, then I will be quite - I promise:D

1) The 88-93 Mustang engine will not fit with a mechanical fan. The clearance with the SN-95 Mustang accessories would be ~3/4". The INTERFERENCE with the 88-93 Mustang accessories would be ~3/4", as the older mustang is ~1.5" longer than the SN-95. You may be able to get away with an electric fan in front of the rad and the 88-93 mustang engine, but then you couldn't cool the HP you are looking to make. So, best bet for distributor would be 94-95 mustang, and use 88-93 Mustang EEC-IV.

2) For those interested, I have a set of brand new (3Miles) torsion bars from the Explorer I dismantled for my Ranger V8 swap. They are from a 1997 AWD Explorer V8. Make offer. (Cheap)

There's gotta be some room to fit the 88-93. See i dont want a 4.6 because there not the best of engines, the 5.0 i can work with knowing there is every part in God's creation for that engine. What about remountin the fan? Move it up alittle? i will take suggestions i'm just curious to the point that i want this engine in my X but i want all the info before i do it....:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The issue with the 88-93 mustang accessory drive is the length front to back. There just is not enough room between the dash panel and the radiator to fit the length of the 88-93 engine. You may be able to remove the mechanical (engine mounted) fan and fit it, but you would then be left with room only for two small electric fans, which would not have the cooling power for major HP. For high HP daily driving, not much can beat a good mechanical fan.

If you are set on using a mustang setup, use a 94-95 mustang accessory drive with mechanical fan. The engine itself does not matter whether it is a 88-93, 94-95, or Explorer 5.0L. They are the "same" - cam, heads, and intake will vary, but in the worlds of modifications, they will work on any base engine.

The major differences are:
1) Mustang engine = distributor
Explorer engine = DIS

2) Mustang engine stock = poor heads and intake
Explorer engine stock = GT40P heads and intake.

The 4.6L is a great engine, but will not fit without EXTENSIVE modifications - like removing the heater box from the engine bay (relocating something inside), frame mods, etc.. I would not say they are not the best of engines though.

Back