• Register Today It's free!

4.6 Engine differences

fastpakr

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 4wd - 5.0/4R70W/BW4406
My parents have an '02 Explorer with the 2v 4.6 that apparently has bottom end issues. I've been looking around for a replacement engine locally and found this '00 Crown Vic:
http://roanoke.craigslist.org/cto/1646507465.html

How significant are the differences between the two engines? Are the differences simple enough that I could bolt the accessories, sensors, etc from the '02 4.6 onto the long block out of the Crown Vic and swap it in? Just trying to save a little money without causing any nightmares in the process. Thanks for any info you guys have.

i dont know about from other vehicles (i know mustangs have different coolant plumbing) but as far as mechanicaly goes, they are practicaly identical(our engines have newer Version PI heads with smaller compression chambers). ANY 4.6L out of the explorers from 02-05 will work with each other as they have only minor electrical differences, and with parts from your origional vehicle they can be used. i have an 05 manufacutured engine in my 2003. IF i were you id go ahead and spend hte extra hundred or so and get one from an explorer, there are quite a few floating around...better safe than sorry eh?

I know the explorer block is made of aluminum, so that might be a difference if the crown's is iron

I never learned all the differences from my Mustang days, but there are some. Ford started using the modular V8 in the ealy 90s and there were differences in block materials and some differences based on where the engines were built (for example, the chain tensioners). Plus, like any engine series built over many years, there are going to be year to year updates.

Back