4-6" lift coils - what else works? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4-6" lift coils - what else works?

ajevenson

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Has anyone looked into swapping early bronco or 82-96 f-150 4-6" lift coils in thier explorer (replacing the coil buckets as well). I'm trying to do as much of my 6" lift with used parts and its difficult to find used explorer parts. Your thought please. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a set of skyjacker 4" coils sitting in my garage. name a price. also have ttb drop brackets by trailmaster. Only disadvantage is that you need a bumpstop on the drivers side otherwise you will punch a hole in your front diff:D

Springs

Well I will be switching to a set of Early Bronco springs soon due to the flex/ride issue that I have currently. But take in account that a 2.5 inch EB spring will give you about 4.5-5 inch on your X. I am going with a 5.5 inch spring on mine for roughly 8 inch lift.

PS

Oh, and I have been told that you can adapt your upper coil mount without switching to an EB style. Bend out all of the coil retainer tabs and use a J hook to retain the spring.

Re: PS

Originally posted by chad
Oh, and I have been told that you can adapt your upper coil mount without switching to an EB style. Bend out all of the coil retainer tabs and use a J hook to retain the spring.

Ya, you can, but the springs don' t sit real well. After 2 yrs I'm finally swapping mine out for some EB coil buckets.

Dannyboy, I sent ya a pm.
Is the added 2.5" from the EB just due to length or because the explorer front end is lighter? THanks for the info guys.

Back