6" lift coils, which is best for flex | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

6" lift coils, which is best for flex

newstylecustoms

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
199 Explorer Sport
I need input from anyone who has tried different lift springs. Which flexes the best BDS, skyjacker, etc?

I was planning on using 79 bronco springs and cut them down, but if I could use a ttb spring I would not need to make a new lower coil mount.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Btw this will be on a 99 four door that I have mounted a narrowed D44 ttb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you looked a james duff springs or parts?i plan on running there springs,i hear nothing but good thing about there springs.i have superlift now and these things i have read and seen probably are the flexyest ive seen.i hate them.

Have you looked a james duff springs or parts?i plan on running there springs,i hear nothing but good thing about there springs.i have superlift now and these things i have read and seen probably are the flexyest ive seen.i hate them.

I called duff a few years ago and they won't sell the springs by themselves, I would have to by the whole kit

They sell the EB and bottom buckets by them selves now.im pretty sure if you tell them your a member on here and doing a SAS and would like to use the ttb spring they would sell you those,those are the ones they wont sell alone because people was using them with home made ttb lifts and was dangerous.

I may give them a call then. Thanks

Yea i run alot of there stuff and bought it piece by piece.i luv there stuff top notch,just was going to keep these springs because they flex so good but i dont like them at all.

I run the deaver super flex springs. I bought them on jeffs bronco graveyard. They flex well and ride smooth. I did have to get a set of custom lower spring mounts for them though.

I run the deaver super flex springs. I bought them on jeffs bronco graveyard. They flex well and ride smooth. I did have to get a set of custom lower spring mounts for them though.

Ive heard about these.you do like them?what did you uave to do in a nutshell? Are they a progressive rate spring?

I have heard nothing but good things about the deavers. They also make a 5.5" ttb spring but the rate is not listed.

I have 6" skyjacker springs, they are well matched with the rear springs, and ride very nice. Not sure about the spring rate...
After a couple years of use, they've settled down to maybe 5" of lift, btw.

I called duff and they will not sell the ttb springs separately. I emailed deaver and they said the ttb springs are 400 ppi and they are slightly too long which means I would have to cut them and that would defeat the point of them. Does anyone know the rates on skyjacker springs? Also free length?

I thought you wanted a longer spring? You would have to change your spring buckets.

I have already coil buckets fabricated coil buckets since this truck never had any to begin with. I am looking for a free length of approx 20 to 21" to get the travel I want (18"). The longest ttb explorer size coils I am aware of are 20" bds made for a 6" lift and the rate is 415 ppi. Iam am afraid they will be too stiff and don't want to waste $150 to find that out.

Sorry for the delayed response. If you want flex, dont use a TTB spring.
Don't get me wrong, people have had a decent amount of flex with TTB springs, but for 18" of travel, you wont be using a TTB spring.

I love my springs. They are the EB/F150 springs. This is the part number: Item #13208. They "fit" in the stock upper coil mounts with some "massaging". The lower coil mount is a stock lower mount for a EB with a 1 1/2" riser welded to it. The riser is needed for the mount to clear the ball joint.

The free length was about 24", if I remember right. I had to cut about 4" off to get them to fit right. It made no difference to the spring rate due to the springs being linear. I love the springs. I am trying to plan a swap for later this year or next. When I do, if I stay with coils, I will use these same springs in the full length. The springs are listed at $140 on jeffsbroncograveyard. Any other questions feel free to pm me.

Thanks for the info. I think I will end up ordering the springs you have and cutting them down. I am going to have to use some stock 79 Bronco coils to start with since funds are running short but I will be able to easily bolt in the Deaver's after I have made the lower coil mounts.

Reviving an old thread. I finally got the Explorer on the ground with the 79 bronco coils, too soft. Even with a 3" riser on the lower coil mount they just sit too low. I have BDS 6" Bronco coils that are 22" long, just a little too much. I am able to cycle 18" on the passenger side but the driver side is limited by the diff housing.

Update, I installed the BDS 6" Ranger coils and they are perfect for what I need. The ride is great, flex is good highly recommend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pics

Attachments

• IMAG0052.jpg
    IMAG0052.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 843
  • IMAG0053.jpg
    IMAG0053.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 722
  • IMAG0054.jpg
    IMAG0054.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 723
  • IMAG0056.jpg