Will this extended brake line work for 4-6" lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will this extended brake line work for 4-6" lift

GJarrett

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
A search on this site for "extended brake line" yields about 2,000 hours of reading material, much of which references ways to buy lines and have them custom fitted, and most regarding 1st gen Explorers.

I'd like a simple answer and want a bolt-on part for a 2nd gen Explorer with a 4" suspension lift + possible 2" body lift, and I want it strong - steel line or equivalent. Can I simply buy this item and bolt it on? Are there better and/or cheaper alternatives? Or better fits if this is too long? Etc?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Brakes-S...gle&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Default

Thanks for any help/suggestions you can provide :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front or rear?

For the rear you can get a --I think it is called female union and just get a short 10" or so pre made hard brake line. Add it into the connection up in the frame bracket. Bend it into a U shape if it is too long. This will allow the line to remain clipped in to the bracket while adding whatever length you end up with.

For the front, you need a dot approved braided flex brake line extension.

or, not DOT approved--it is up to you.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1935291&highlight=brake+lines#post1935291

Hope this helps.

edit-I used russel brake lines from summit racing for the 93, and they were only 20" if I recall-

according to Evan's advice--I bet if you go to summit and look for 05 f150 brake lines you'll find them.

Do NOT buy Pro-Comp brake lines!

We value your life.

Do NOT buy Pro-Comp brake lines.

Jimsp here on EF had 2 sets and the hose popped off the fitting on 2 or 3 of them.

I just had one break while pulling out of my driveway Wednesday. These are brake lines. they need to stop 5,000lbs of metal and should not fail like that.

Earl's is a good brand. Sorry I can't give you a link to your exact part.

Thanks for the direction. I looked up Earl's but don't know what fittings I have (AN3, etc) to match their lines. If Evan is right and the fittings for a 2005 F150 match my Explorer, I'll go that route with the Russell lines. I plan to measure mine and then see if I need stock F150 lines, or the extended ones. I'll update when I find out.

Thanks again :)

you could always hit up DominicanX he has Jeep brake hoses and they work perfect for him, just buy the steel braided versions and you'll be set. i think he said they were 3-4 inches longer.

Just take your brake line to a commercial hydraulic hose fabricating shop. Like the ones that work of heavy equipment. They do all my braided brake lines and also I get my Push Pull fittings for air and vacuum lines there also. I use the below store for my lines.
http://www.colliflower.com/

Yes that would work to lol.

I tracked down DominicanX's post and it seems to indicate that a 2003 Wrangler set would be a direct bolt-on.... I'll check that one out.

Thanks again for all of the replies. :)

If you want to go the stainless route, try Classic Tube. They have DOT approved braided stainless for all four brakes for second gen Explorers. They can also make them to custom lengths, so you could get exactly what you need.

Back