4.6L 3v Camshaft Phaser Knock Noise Fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6L 3v Camshaft Phaser Knock Noise Fix

makuloco2000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
In this video I go over in detail the procedure to swap out the Cam Phaser to get rid of that annoying knocking noise at idle! It is easier than you think. The procedure is the same for all 4.6l and 5.4l 3valve engines.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Maculoco

I am chasing a similar noise on my 4.6 with 179 k miles. Part of it is broken stud on exhaust manifold, but I thought I am hearing lifters as well, or that phaser. I need to take the stethoscope and listen which side that is.

This sounds like exactly the noise I've been trying to track down... I'm gonna go broke getting this fixed!

Maculoco -

What's the "hour" estimate for this job by Ford's book ?

Hop on over to a Ford truck forum to see how common this is on the 5.4

Usually its caused by a failed tensioner seal which is why i reccomend that if you want to fix the noise, you need to tear the front cover open and replace all the timing components. Unfortunately many people have just replaced the cam-phaser, and the noise reappears 5-10K miles down the road.

Lockouts are becomming a popular option, but you have to run a tune with them and you lose the advangates of the variable timing system.

Back