4.6L V8 Oil Filter Adapter Gasket

dajoes90

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer 4.6L V8
Hello to all,

i'm going to change the oil filter adapter gasket and i want to ask you about some tip regarding this. I watched a lot of videos, each one looking different, one easy, another one hard. As far as i know, i need to flush the coolant and i'll change the oil and filter now that i have to change the second one. Do i need to disassemble the fan, or just play with the space that i have taking out the bolts that it holds it?

Thank you all for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you don't need to take the fan out or even touch it, it's out of the way. The oil filter adapter is way inside.

1. You need to drain the coolant and remove the oil filter (no need to drain all the oil but you can by removing the oil filter)
2. Remove the trim that funnels spilled oil from the filter
3. Remove the bolts of the adapter... you could try removing the hoses for easy access. Some of the hoses are not easy to disconnect and in my case I just leave it attached.

Space is tight on this area, need good lighting and swivels .. not fun....

you don't need to take the fan out or even touch it, it's out of the way. The oil filter adapter is way inside.

1. You need to drain the coolant and remove the oil filter (no need to drain all the oil but you can by removing the oil filter)
2. Remove the trim that funnels spilled oil from the filter
3. Remove the bolts of the adapter... you could try removing the hoses for easy access. Some of the hoses are not easy to disconnect and in my case I just leave it attached.

Space is tight on this area, need good lighting and swivels .. not fun....

First of all, thank you so much for your prompt response!

Saw your posts on FB, do you have any tip when changing the gasket, apart from the mentioned above? I cleaned today around the zone because was all covered in dirty oil, and also i localized the 4 bolts so will make easy when arrives the moment to change. Now i know for sure that is leaking from there (well, also from the oil pan, but that is 'easy'). Which tools did you use? And how did you removed the trim that funnels spilled oil from the filter?

there's a screw that bolts on top of the frame that bolts the plastic funnel trim for the oil filter spill, you have to loosen it out by feel. Removing that will give more space in that area.
The lower radiator hose that connects to the oil filter adapter is a PITA to remove, if you're lucky removing that will give you easy access to the bolts. If you find it difficult to remove due to space limitation just disconnect the hose from the radiator side and just move it out of the way to access and loosen the bolts. I use some extensions and swivels to loosen the bolt, clean the area very well with scotch-brite pads. Use a 1/4" wrench to tighten the bolts, using a small wrench will prevent over-torquing. Again no space here for torque wrenches, just tighten it by feel.

On re-assembly, I removed the hose from the adapter so that it will be easy to tighten the bolts back. If you have a hose clamp tool like this https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Flexible...id=1498831096&sr=8-6&keywords=hose+clamp+tool it will be easy to loosen and replace the clamps.

there's a screw that bolts on top of the frame that bolts the plastic funnel trim for the oil filter spill, you have to loosen it out by feel. Removing that will give more space in that area.
The lower radiator hose that connects to the oil filter adapter is a PITA to remove, if you're lucky removing that will give you easy access to the bolts. If you find it difficult to remove due to space limitation just disconnect the hose from the radiator side and just move it out of the way to access and loosen the bolts. I use some extensions and swivels to loosen the bolt, clean the area very well with scotch-brite pads. Use a 1/4" wrench to tighten the bolts, using a small wrench will prevent over-torquing. Again no space here for torque wrenches, just tighten it by feel.

On re-assembly, I removed the hose from the adapter so that it will be easy to tighten the bolts back. If you have a hose clamp tool like this https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Flexible...id=1498831096&sr=8-6&keywords=hose+clamp+tool it will be easy to loosen and replace the clamps.

Wow, thank you so much! You explained so well that you make it look easy! I'll try maybe next weekend and i'll let you know how it went. Appreciate your help and tips!

By the way, and just to be prepared, do you know the size of the bolts? Maybe a 13 mm socket?

Took me a couple hours but did it all with no problems. Takes more time to flush the cooland that replace the gasket.

Thanks for the help.

Back