• Register Today It's free!

4 pin to 7 pin harness adapter

BEATNGU

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountineer
On my Merc, I have the regular old 4 pin harness. Is there a conversion for a 7 pin harness adapter?

I have a full size trailer that I need to tow, not much weight on it I just need the size.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i know they make 7 to 4 pin adaptor, but i have no idea if they go the other way around, if not i am sure a 4 pin plug would be cake to wire in there.

if tis an adapter couldnt you jsut flip it around? i beleive napa has stuff like that, might need to order it though

I bought a 4 to 7 pin adapter at Autozone a couple years ago..used to to tow our camper...it was about $10. or so

usually the reason for the round adapter is the trailer has brakes on it.... there is an adapter though....

You should be able to get the 7 pin pigtail from Ford (or Mercury) and replace the 4 pin pig tail. the connection should be right behind the bumper. I know when I got my 4 pin I was asked which I needed.

Any good trailer shop should have one available, or should be able to make one for you for a few bucks. However.....

as was stated above, the 7-pin connector on the trailer is for the brakes. If the trailer has brakes, they're there for a reason and should probably be used. The only exception that comes to mind is if you were hauling an empty car-hauler or flat-bed with no load. The brakes would be necessary when loaded, but you could get by with just lights when it's empty.

-Joe

A 7 pin connector can have the following:

1 Ground
2 Tail lights
3 Left turn signal / brake light
4 Right turn signal / brake light
5 Charging circuit for trailer batteies
6 Electric brake circuit
7 Reverse lights for trailer

Now, with a 4 pin connector, the first 4 are used. Chances are, the trailer with the seven pin has electric brakes or a charging circuit. You will need to accomodate those if you add a 7 pin. If the trailer only has 4 wires going to a 7 pin connector for some reason , just alter the trailer side.

I just made mine. Cheap too like $5

I believe that the 7 pic round connector has an intresting problem if the trailer has brakes. If memory serves the brakes are LOCKED if the brake wire doesnt get a signal. SO if your trailer has brakes you should indeed set up the wiring the correct way. This is atleast how my friends horse trailer is.

thanks guys

Back