4 Wd auto hubs

99redvette

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
Hi Gang

I am about to put new rotors/pads on my 1993 Ford Explorer, and I have read several diff articles about the correct way to do this. My car has about 90,000 miles on it and the frt hubs have never been taken apart.

Am I correct the size of the socket to take the big nut lose s 2 3/8 ". ? And does any one know any little secrets about getting the indexing key out. Some say a good magnet does it and some use a pick. It looks like very tight quarters there, and a little rust so I am thinking it might not come out very easy.

I had to order the socket so that is what I am waiting for now. I have the new rotors and pads. I figured these rotors are so old no sense trying to see if they can be turned, plus there are fewer and fewer places that will turn them, and when you do find a place they want an arm and a leg to do it. So why put money into a thing that probably can't be turned any way.

Thanx....Gunny

Hi Gang

Do you mean to tell me there is no one that has any help to pass along on this.

Thanx....Gunny

Hi kiliona

Hey thanx for the reply. Lots of useful info there, great pictures. I like his little tips on the key and getting the spring loaded clutch back on the shaft.

Thanx....Gunny

Back