4406 front driveshaft orientation and U-joint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4406 front driveshaft orientation and U-joint

Trolling

Reaction score
City, State
kah-lee-fur-nyah
Year, Model & Trim Level
this may sound silly to you guys but i really have no idea which is the front and which one goes to the tcase since both flanges fit on the 4406. plus how the conversion u-joint is oriented with the driveshaft.

Which one goes to the 4406 and which one goes to the d35 in the front? A or B?
aorb.jpg

On the conversion joint, which side is in line with the driveshaft? the red axis or the yellow one? **note that the red axis is longer than the yellow.

cardanjoint.jpg

and i know i am supposed to get something from the stock AWD front driveshaft, what is it? Is it the flange style CV socket yolk that is bolted to the front differential?

Hope you guys can clarify this one out for me.

Thanks!
-Carl

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In theory you could put it in any way you want.
I put mine in with the slip-joint (B) towards the transfercase.
The conversion joint goes on the differential end of the driveshaft, the smaller diameter of the two end-caps go on the diff, larger on the driveshaft.

gotcha, so the red line goes on the driveshaft and i install the smaller/shorter end on the differential flange yolk from my old awd driveshaft, right?

Nope, straight to the differential.
There shouldn't be a flange on the driveshaft to differential. The driveshaft you have in the pic does have one, but it comes off and is not used.
The conversion joint will sit in the differential flange on the differential itself, the other end in the driveshaft.
You could actually double check which ones go where once you remove your AWD driveshaft. The conversion joint will only fit one way.

isn't that going to be a pain to install?

I think i have to crawl underneath later to see how its connected there.

just crawled down there and found this bolt hanging loose from the flange on the front driveshaft to AWD case.
IMG_6861.jpg

It was 5 turn away from falling off :D i'll install it later after dinner..

anyway, i took a look at the front diff and it looks like the u-joint is clamped down and can be removes by just 4 screws..

Yep, 4 little bolts and 2 metal straps hold the u-joint to the front diff.

thanks! glad that one is sorted out..

Back